[General] A question I'd like to put to an IELTS examiner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

I actually did not know where to exactly post this question, and I couldn't come up with a better title! (So, please accept my apologies!)

I have been obsessed with some issues about the IELTS exam, and I was wondering if there were any IELTS examiner/assessor here in this forum so that they could kindly run through a few questions with me. I really need no detailed instruction! But I seem to be confused with some general policies on the exam!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Fire away.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Well, firstly, thanks for the replies. I was wondering if you could help me with the layout of the introduction for Task II. The question I have in mind is if IELTS REALLY prefers a particular style for this section and if the assessors have SOLID criteria according to which the writings are assessed and scored!

Here is a sample question:

Some experts believe that learning a foreign language should be compulsory at primary school rather than secondary school. Do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

And here's my suggested introduction: (It is NOT a part of ANY assignment. And I'm just trying to figure out what the best style for an introduction is.)

Learning a foreign language, as a powerful tool of interpersonal communication, can give a typical individual distinct advantages. This has, however, made many be of the opinion that its education had best be started at as early as primary levels as possible. I believe, children being more receptive as well as the possibility of them being less affected by psychological barriers are the major reasons why early learning of a foreign language makes sense.

(PLease kindly let me know of the mistakes I have made.)

Now, do you think this introduction has the right layout, or is it just too wordy?! :(

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Learning a foreign language can be highly beneficial. It can be advantageous in business, for example. Foreign languages are best taught as early as possible. We are most receptive to learning languages when we are young.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Learning a foreign language, as a powerful tool of interpersonal communication, can give a typical individual distinct advantages. This has, however, made many be of the opinion that its education had best be started at as early as primary levels as possible. I believe, children being more receptive as well as the possibility of them being less affected by psychological barriers are the major reasons why early learning of a foreign language makes sense.

Here I tried to use two nominalised form to give an outline, and naturally I'll discuss each point in a separate paragraph, and in a third body paragraph, I'll discuss some aspects why some might believe learning a foreign language had better be put off to secondary levels.

In some analysis from an examiner once I noticed this outline is too 'revealing'! Perhaps meaning that it gives too much detail about my ideas?! Then, what is an ideal OUTLINE supposed to be like? Can't I just give a big picture of my paragraphs just at the end of the introduction?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Both in this thread and in another one I have suggested changes to your writing. The point of that is to help you improve your writing.

I am not sure you understand that.

Last edited:

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Leaving aside some errors in the language, I'd say that you have revealed your conclusion in your opening paragraph. This is far too soon. Your introductory paragraph should simply present the matter you are going to discuss.

You can then move on to the arguments for and against learning at one level, and then those for learning at the other level,

After you have considered all the arguments you can come to your conclusion.

That's a personal response. I have realised that my memories of what was required when I was an IELTS examiner are too faded to be be reliable.

Such a great help indeed! Now I realise some details (what I call 'MY OUTLINE') had better be taken off from the introduction, or at least I can go for an open outline where I do not directly mention the general topics of my paragraphs. Hope I've got you right there! :up:

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Well, thanks, and actually I am here to learn! Quite naturally I happen to have mistakes, but I'm trying to sort them out. I can't see what I don't understand! :(

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You may also want to try this: when I teach the argumentative essay, I teach a 3-sentence introduction I call the GPS--
Generality - a blanket statement on your topic that no one could possibly disagree with; it's generally true, e.g. 'Every student receives homework.'
Problem - an issue your thesis statement will magically solve, e.g., 'But kids need time to play.'
Solution - your thesis statement and opinion, all rolled into one: 'Therefore, I feel there should be a maximum of 1 hour of homework a night.'

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, thanks, and actually I am here to learn! Quite naturally I happen to have mistakes, but I'm trying to sort them out. I can't see what I don't understand! :(

I am going to do you a favor and point out that you use too many exclamation marks. Also, we don't HAVE mistakes. We MAKE mistakes. Sayonara! Adios! Goodbye!

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You may also want to try this: when I teach the argumentative essay, I teach a 3-sentence introduction I call the GPS--
Generality - a blanket statement on your topic that no one could possibly disagree with; it's generally true, e.g. 'Every student receives homework.'
Problem - an issue your thesis statement will magically solve, e.g., 'But kids need time to play.'
Solution - your thesis statement and opinion, all rolled into one: 'Therefore, I feel there should be a maximum of 1 hour of homework a night.'

Very nicely explained! Thanks! Now I see I'd better avoid too much information in my introductions.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
And you'd still better avoid using unnecessary exclamation marks, as Tarheel pointed out.

[click]

Status
Not open for further replies.