Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In the past when land line phone calls used to get connected to a random person's call we used to call it cross-connection. For example "I think I was in seventh standard. I was trying to call someone when suddenly my call got connected to another line and two girls were talking to each other on that line."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's an interesting reminiscence, Tufguy, but learning how to write it correctly at this point in your studies won't help you much with your English. Nevertheless, if you change the last bit before the quote to we called it a "cross-connection" then it will be natural.

The quoted text is OK but overly wordy. You've already said your call got connected to another line; just end the sentence "and I could hear two girls talking to each other."

Whenever you write a dialog and see that you've repeated a noun, ask yourself whether you need to use it both times.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That's an interesting reminiscence, Tufguy, but learning how to write it correctly at this point in your studies won't help you much with your English. Nevertheless, if you change the last bit before the quote to we called it a "cross-connection" then it will be natural.

The quoted text is OK but overly wordy. You've already said your call got connected to another line; just end the sentence "and I could hear two girls talking to each other."

Whenever you write a dialog and see that you've repeated a noun, ask yourself whether you need to use it both times.

In the past when land line phone calls used to get connected to a random person's call we called it cross-connection. For example "I think I was in seventh standard. I was trying to call someone when suddenly my call got connected to another line and I could hear two girls talking to each other."

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
We call it a crossed line in BrE.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the past when land line phone calls used to get connected to a random person's call we called it cross-connection. For example "I think I was in seventh standard. I was trying to call someone when suddenly my call got connected to another line and I could hear two girls talking to each other."
Very good. Add a colon after "for example", and add the definite article I recommended in post #2, and it'll be perfectly acceptable.

Landline​ is a single word, too.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Very good. Add a colon after "for example", and add the definite article I recommended in post #2, and it'll be perfectly acceptable.

Landline​ is a single word, too.

In the past when landline phone calls used to get connected to a random person's call we called it a cross-connection. For example "I think I was in seventh standard. I was trying to call someone when suddenly my call got connected to another line and I could hear two girls talking to each other."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You forgot to add the colon I suggested. However, you reacted correctly to my mistaken advice to add the definite article -- I meant an indefinite article, and you added one.

Status
Not open for further replies.