Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Another space application that began under government sponsorship but quickly moved into the private sector is the relay of voice, video, and data via orbiting satellites. Satellite telecommunications has developed into a multibillion-dollar business and is the one clearly successful area of commercial space activity. A related, but economically much smaller, commercial space business is the provision of launches for private and government satellites. In 2004 a privately financed venture sent a piloted spacecraft, SpaceShipOne, to the lower edge of space for three brief suborbital flights. Although it was technically a much less challenging achievement than carrying humans into orbit, its success was seen as an important step toward opening up space to commercial travel and eventually to tourism.

What does "its" refer to?

1. a privately financed venture
2. a piloted spacecraft called SpaceShipOne

Source: Iran's national university entrance exams

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not very clear, is it?

It's easier to think of a venture as being successful or unsuccessful. So, strictly speaking, I think it refers to the venture. But for practical purposes, it hardly matters.

Let's see what others say.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Exactly. Apart from the fact that "successful spacecraft" is uncommon, I have another reason, too. To me, "it" refers to "sending the spacecraft". At least, this concept sounds more natural to me, because it is compared with "carrying humans into orbit". So it would be textually incohesive for "it" to refer to the sending of the spacecraft and for "its" to refer to the spacecraft.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's the whole mission that was successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.