Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi teachers,

Please help me to correct the following italic short paragraph to make it natural and idiomatic:

I watched an hour-long video about the Song dynasty's greatest scholar Sushi* and it touched me to the soul. The video is about his whole life: his dreams, his aspirations, his sufferings, and most importantly, how he struggled to face the frames** forced/embedded by his political enemies*** and finally reborn under those miserable circumstances.**** When I was younger, I used to believe that the poets and articles I'd learned were his whole life.*****

*: No the Japanese borrowed word but Pinyin spelling of the greatest poet, scholar in China's history.
**&***&****: The video talked about the whole life of Sushi. When he was and how his father taught him and his younger brother things and how the took the imperial exams and finally became government officials. Because Sushi was a great writer and read many books, many people were jealous of him. Then his political opponents or enemies started cooking up things to frame him. He was jailed and almost tortured to death but finally saved. Sushi was sad and lost soon after he was released from jail, but later he began to rethink what had happened him (after reading some books written by a greatest thinker in China's history) and finally realized that he should live in the moment and learn from all those sufferings. He was reborn from his pain and sufferings to become another person.
*****: I used to firmly believe that the poets and articles I learned about anicent people about all are about him because when I was at school, we just learned and the teacher didn't share the stories of them with us, just learn and read and memorize, but now we can watch videoes and read more books about these people, I've learned more about them and therefore respect them.

Please take your time.

Much appreciated!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You need commas on either side of "Sushi".

He struggled to cope with persecution. That was his struggle.

**A review About a Video

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You need commas on either side of "Sushi".
How so? I already capitalize the first letter, which is the rule of capitalizing one's name. Do I need to use quotation marks here simply because Sushi is also the name of a Japanese food?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
...framed charges brought upon by his political enemies...
How was he "reborn"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How so? I already capitalize the first letter, which is the rule of capitalizing one's name. Do I need to use quotation marks here simply because Sushi is also the name of a Japanese food?
I watched an hour-long video about the Song dynasty's greatest scholar, Sushi, and it touched me to the soul.

That's the way it should look. (I didn't say anything about using quotation marks.)

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
...framed charges brought upon by his political enemies...
How was he "reborn"?
Well, It's a bit difficult for me to explain. When he was in jail, he was almost dead because of the persecution and torture. He was hopeless. But he started to read books about life and yes, he himself was a philosopher, he finally realized that in life there was only one thing that can live through bad times, the belief of good times. I said he was reborn because he never gave up.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He almost died because of the torture OR The torture nearly killed him.

He had run out of hope.

But he had access to the prison library, and he read books about life. He got inspiration from those books.

He realized that in life there is only one thing that can get you through bad times. That's the belief that good times are in the future.

He was reborn in the sense that he changed his attitude on life, and he became essentially a different person.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
But he had access to the prison library, and he read books about life. He got inspiration from those books.
He read books after he was released from the jail. He got inspired later, not in the prison. He couldn't do anything but waited for death at that time.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He couldn't do anything but wait for death at that point.

It's a video about Sushi.

He read those books after he was released from prison.

The torture nearly killed him.

When he was released from prison he was a broken man. He was broken and body and spirit.

Make up your mind between jail and prison.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Choose between "When I was younger I believed" and "I used to believe".