Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I am wondering if there is a way to say “an intelligent/smart person” in just one word (providing that it is a noun). I started thinking about it about an hour ago and haven’t found any solutions so far. :D The only word that occurred to me was the word “smarty” but as far as I know it’s often used in a derogatory way. I tried to check it and got even more confused. 🫤 Some online dictionaries say that that word describes only a would be smart person (so it’s just deriding/humorous/derogatory), some on the contrary explain its meaning as “a smart person”. And some mention both meanings. So I hope that I can get some thorough explanation on what that word might mean in different contexts and situations on this website. :) And maybe you have some ideas on how to describe a bright/smart person with just one noun (without help of an adjective, and if that word is a slang word— it’s totally ok:)).
Thank you in advance for any answers :).

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :)
Try "genius" or possibly "prodigy". Also, take a look at the following link. You might find some useful synonyms in it.

Helen1999

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you so much for your help:). “Genius” or “prodigy“ won’t be suitable for the context I need, but thank you anyway:).
And thanks for the link as well:).

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
What context/scenario do you have in mind?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States