Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

I'm doing a test in a chat room. There is a question that goes like this:

a superhero that has been augmented and equipped with gadgets

What comes to your mind as a word to answer that question?

What's the question you're talking about? You haven't said.

What's the question you're talking about? You haven't said.

What do we call a superhero that has been augmented and equipped with gadgets?

Iron Man?

It was a general question. A word which applies to all superheroes which have been augmented. I think I should ask a comic book geek/guru about this. I don't think you are one Jutfrank.;-)

It was a general question. A word which applies to all superheroes which have been augmented. I think I should ask a comic book geek/guru about this. I don't think you are one Jutfrank.;-)

I am actually (well, used to be) something of a comic book geek. Not a guru, though.

Anyway, I know enough to tell you that there is no single general word to describe what you mean. Is there one in your language?

I am actually (well, used to be) something of a comic book geek. Not a guru, though.

Anyway, I know enough to tell you that there is no single general word to describe what you mean. Is there one in your language?

Actually, we call them superhuman in my language.

That seems to fit the description in English as well. See HERE. However, I don't like "equipped with gadgets" - that sounds as if they've simply been given gadgets to use, rather than their having actual gadgets built into their bodies.

Well, a gadget can be anything from a screwdriver to a can opener. Anybody can use a gadget.

However, I don't like "equipped with gadgets" - that sounds as if they've simply been given gadgets to use, rather than their having actual gadgets built into their bodies.

That's what I thought it meant.

I understood augmented and equipped with gadgets (2 things) rather than augmented and equipped with gadgets (1 thing).

Which one is it, alpacinoutd?

That's what I thought it meant.

I understood augmented and equipped with gadgets (2 things) rather than augmented and equipped with gadgets (1 thing).

Which one is it, alpacinoutd?

Honestly, were having a sort of competition with fellow English teachers. This question was asked:

What do we call a superhero that has been augmented and equipped with gadgets?

They are not native speakers so they could be wrong.

So which of the two ways of reading the question do you think was meant?

And please tell me the answer—I'm curious to know.

You're talking about a cyborg

In fact, I think Borg is a shortened form of that word.

(Cross-posted)

You're talking about a cyborg

Oh, right. But we wouldn't call a cyborg a superhero (unless he/she actually was one, of course!)

Oh, right. But we wouldn't call a cyborg a superhero (unless he/she actually was one, of course!)

Yes that was the answer. But I think the question was flawed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back