Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
I read it in one of my text book that "He's waiting for the results of tests" and it got me thinking shouldn't it be "He's waiting for the results of the tests".

Will putting "the" in front of "tests" would make the sentence grammatically incorrect? Appreciated if I were given some examples on the usage on this grammar structure. Thanks a lot

the results of tests (according to the book)
the results of the tests (since both the listener and speaker know which tests, shouldn't we put "the" in front of tests)
results of the tests (is it possible to omit "the" in front of results ?? just like the book omit "the" in front of the tests)
results of tests (I'm not sure if this make sense, just trying to figure out would this one be grammatically correct too)

Thanks a lot for any pointers to all the teachers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The original is OK and is more closely related to "He's waiting for the results of some tests".

I'd use "the tests" only when those tests have been mentioned earlier - that fits your suggestion of using it when both parties know what tests are being referred to.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
the results of the tests (since both the listener and speaker know which tests, shouldn't we put "the" in front of tests)

If that's the case, then yes. But you haven't provided the context that shows that both the speaker and listener know which tests, so we can't say which is correct.

Remember that what determines whether a definite article should be used or not has nothing to do with grammar. It all depends on meaning. There's nothing ungrammatical about the original sentence—it's just that it means that the person saying it doesn't want to refer specifically to which tests he's waiting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.