Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What's a word for someone from the same town as you? Can I use "fellow citizen" or is that for people of a country?

Is this correct?

I went back to my hometown and realized not one of my fellow citizens had heard about my wedding.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Citizen" is too general.
How about "one of my folks/mates"?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
"Citizen" doesn't fit. There's no single word that means a person from your hometown.
I went back to my hometown and realized not one of my fellow citizens had heard about my wedding.
I went back to my hometown and realized not one of the people there had...

You could possibly use the name of the town as an adjective, with a suffix like -er or -ian. I realized not one of my fellow Bayazians had heard about my wedding.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'd like to get a third opinion, preferably from a native speaker.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You might use "homies" as a plural of homey, but that word is largely confined to black Americans. In mainstream English I think @Barque is right: the demonym of the specific town is the best you can do.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You might use "homies" as a plural of homey, but that word is largely confined to black Americans. In mainstream English I think @Barque is right: the demonym of the specific town is the best you can do.
Would you say "fellow citizens" is wrong?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Most places have demonyms - People from New York are New Yorkers. Those from Washington are Washingtonians. From Atlanta, Atlantans.

This would be the place to use the demonym from your city. There is no generic term for people from your home city.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Most places have demonyms - People from New York are New Yorkers. Those from Washington are Washingtonians. From Atlanta, Atlantans.

This would be the place to use the demonym from your city. There is no generic term for people from your home city.

On that note, I suppose you could coin the term 'hometowners'. It's not a real word, but I imagine most people would understand it under the guise Dave mentions above.

You might use "homies" as a plural of homey, but that word is largely confined to black Americans.

I always took 'homie/homey' to imply a degree of friendship or at least peers. Granted it's not a word in my regular vocabulary, but I wouldn't have thought to use it to simply refer to a shared hometown.

In the context of the original sentence, since you're back in your hometown, I think you could just say 'nobody' or possibly 'none of the residents'. Of course, that only works is you're back in said hometown.

Status
Not open for further replies.