Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the following English spoken by a native English speaker? I am not sure.

Given that he uses "about 1000 each year" (about 1000 times each year), I guess English is not his native tongue. But I am not sure.

Soyink tweeted:

She will be shot in America. She’d say thanks to Chinese police given American cops shot dead about 1000 each year, while redneck cops didn’t necessarily have enough reason.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It could be careless English written by a native speaker. "Shot" should be "shoot", but that's an easy mistake to make. There isn't enough to tell.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with the post above but my feeling is that this is poor English from a native speaker.

The phrase about 1000 each year means 'about 1000 people each year', not 'about 1000 times each year'. I imagine the spelling mistake shot/shoot led you to think that one thousand police offers are killed by citizens rather than one thousand citizens killed by police officers.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I agree with the post above but my feeling is that this is poor English from a native speaker.

The phrase about 1000 each year means 'about 1000 people each year', not 'about 1000 times each year'. I imagine the spelling mistake shot/shoot led you to think that one thousand police offers are killed by citizens rather than one thousand citizens killed by police officers.

Did you mean "police officers"? No. What I thought is (well, allow me to introduce the context on which these tweets were made: A Chinese woman who walked on street was stopped by coronavirus-preventing workers and told to wear a facemask to pretect herself, but she refused by stating that she's healthy and had no need to wear a mask. Then police were called who demanded her to wear one. The woman still refused and so was detained.) The tweet tended to mean "Chinese police just detained her while American police would have shot her (because she wave her umbrella at policeman), not shooting her for one time but for one thousand times.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Did you mean "police officers"? No. What I thought is (Well, allow me to introduce the context on which these tweets were made: A Chinese woman who was outside was stopped by coronavirus-preventing workers and told to wear a facemask to protect herself, but she refused and stated that she's healthy and had no need to wear a mask. Then police were called, and they demanded that she wear one. The woman still refused and so was detained.) The tweet meant "Chinese police just detained her while American police would have shot her (because she waved her umbrella at them), not shooting her once but a thousand times.

Where do you get your facts?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She will be shot in America. She’d say thanks to Chinese police given American cops shot dead about 1000 each year, while redneck cops didn’t necessarily have enough reason.
Looking at this again, I'm convinced it could not have been written by a native speaker. The verb in the first sentence should be would. That's not a substitution a native speaker would make.

"Chinese police just detained her while American police would have shot her (because she wave her umbrella at policeman), not shooting her for one time but for one thousand times.
You can be sure that's not what the writer intended because of the phrase each year. The writer — again mixing up tenses in a way typical of Chinese speakers struggling with English — meant to say American cops shoot dead about 1000 (people) each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.