Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
According to Israeli authorities, more than 1,200 people were killed -- including 33 children -- and thousands were injured in the abhorrent acts of terror by Hamas on 7 October.
Some 250 people were also abducted, including 34 children.
There are also numerous accounts of sexual violence during the attacks that must be vigorously investigated and prosecuted.
Gender-based violence must be condemned. Anytime. Anywhere.
Mr. President,
According to the de facto authorities, more than 14,000 people have been killed since the start of the Israeli military operations in Gaza.

Source: UN

I understand "the de facto authorities" as "the Hamas-controlled authorities" since Hamas controls Gaza. But does the speaker avoid using "Hamas" to make it plainly understandable? One guess of mine is that it is a euphemism. I am very sure it is the case.

Why does the speaker avoid using "Hamas" here rather than using "de facto authorities"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say

Why does the speaker avoid using "Hamas" here and instead use "de facto authorities"?

The term seems to be a new invention. It's hard for me to be sure what it means.

Stay tuned.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
de facto authority

a term used to describe a person or a group that actually has control over a place, but does not have the legal authority to do so.

That reporter was probably not referring to Hamas.

Hamas does not currently control Gaza.

"Hamas-controlled authorities would be authorities controlled by Hamas.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
de facto authority

a term used to describe a person or a group that actually has control over a place, but does not have the legal authority to do so.

That reporter was probably not referring to Hamas.

Hamas does not currently control Gaza.

"Hamas-controlled authorities would be authorities controlled by Hamas.

Hamas Takes Control in 2006, Leading to More Conflict with Israel
An Islamist political group called Hamas won elections and took control of Gaza in 2006. Since then, Hamas has occupied the strip, which has become a site for protests, bombings, land assaults and other acts of violence. Israel and the United States, as well as several other countries, consider Hamas a terrorist organization.

Source: History.com

According to the introduction above, Hamas currently de facto controls Gaza, esp. during the 4+2 days temperary ceasefire.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The IDF has been flooding Hamas's tunnels with seawater. I doubt that Hamas would let them do that if they had control of the area. At best, it's disputed.