Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
I have a question about the verbs "adhere to", "follow", and "obey" . Suppose there is a plan, and part of the plan includes a particular person (Mike) giving a speech reading from a prepared text. The plan also contains rules for other activities. If I write the following sentences:

1a. "Mike adhered to the prepared text."
1b. "Mike followed the prepared text."
1c. "Mike obeyed the prepared text."

2a. "Mike adhered to the rules."
2b. "Mike followed the rules."
2c. "Mike obeyed the rules."

Since "obey" is similar to "follow" and "adhere to", and 2c is okay due to the correctness of 2a+2b, then 1c should bee okay due to the correctness of 1a+1b. But for some reason, 1c seems a little off to me. What do native speakers think?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It is not possible to obey a text.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
If one can "follow" the rules, then one can also "obey" the rules. Yet, if one can "follow" the prepared text, one cannot "obey" the prepared text, for reasons only known to native speakers?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes - as I've pointed out many times that language doesn't work like math. The converse doesn't always follow.

All dogs are mammals. Just because something isn't a dog, doesn't mean it isn't a mammal. Just because something's a mammal, doesn't mean it's a dog.

This concept isn't unique to English, so I'm not sure why you persist in trying to apply it.

Status
Not open for further replies.