Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. Do you think advertising influences what people buy?

I think yes. Take myself as an example. Sometimes, I see the same advertisement kept showing on different websites and that makes me want to buy them, especially when they are offering discounts. At first, I usually ignore it. But some of them would add a timer on the ad and countdown to the discount. It creates urgency to hurry me to buy. It's hard to refrain myself once I check it out because the ad would last longer than usual, at least 3 to 4 days, on different websites. Finally, I lose to it and buy something.

2. What factors should be taken into account when making advertisements?

How images present in an advertisement is very important. If the ads look dull, I often ignore it. But actually it depends on the nature of the ads. If they are selling something professional, maybe more statistics should be showed and images are secondary to it. Another important thing is the language use. Try to use the language that suits your target audience. For example, we need to consider the language use between the internal and external, the general public and professionals, adults and children, etc.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
1. Do you think advertising influences what people buy?

I think [STRIKE]yes[/STRIKE] so. Take myself as an example. Sometimes, I see the same advertisement [STRIKE]kept [/STRIKE] keep showing on different websites and that makes me want to buy them, especially when they are offering discounts. At first, I usually ignore[STRIKE] it[/STRIKE] them. But some of them would add a timer on the ad and count down to the discount. It creates an urgency [STRIKE]to hurry [/STRIKE] for me to buy. It's hard to [STRIKE]refrain[/STRIKE] restrain myself once I check it out because the ad would last longer than usual, at least 3 to 4 days, on different websites. Finally, I [STRIKE]lose to it [/STRIKE] give in and buy something.

2. What factors should be taken into account when making advertisements?

How images[STRIKE] present[/STRIKE] are presented in an advertisement is very important. If the ads look dull, I often ignore [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them. But actually it depends on the nature of the ads. If they are selling something professional, maybe more statistics should be [STRIKE]showed[/STRIKE] shown and images are secondary to [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them. Another important thing is the language use. Try to use the language that suits your target audience. For example, we need to consider the language use between the internal and external, the general public and professionals, adults and children, etc.

I don't understand the underlined part.

Last edited:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try to use the language that suits your target audience.

I wouldn't say that.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
How is that applicable to advertisements?
For example, some companies may organise activities to encourage their staff members to join, and they may post some advertisements. I believe the language that the company uses for internal members differ from they use for the outsiders.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For example, some companies may organise activities to encourage their staff members to join, and they may post some advertisements. I believe the language that the company uses for employees differs from what they use for other people.
:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Take me as an example.

Don't jump on the irritating bandwagon of using "myself" instead of "me".

Status
Not open for further replies.