Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, everyone. I think it would be unclear if I use pronouns. So, I repeated 'advertising'. Is this okay? I don't know if 'advertisements' is appropriate. So, I didn't use it. Do you have a better solution?

The high sales of trendy consumer goods do reflect how powerful advertising is. For one thing, advertising is extremely effective at making people believe they can become happier with the products it is promoting. For another, targeted advertising repeatedly creates a desire in consumers to buy.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, everyone.

In the text below, I think it would be unclear if I used pronouns no full stop here so no comma here I repeated 'advertising'. Is this okay? I don't know if 'advertisements' is appropriate no full stop here so no comma here I didn't use it. Do you have a better solution?

The high sales of trendy consumer goods does reflect how powerful advertising is. For one thing, [STRIKE]advertising[/STRIKE]
it is extremely effective at making people believe they [STRIKE]can become[/STRIKE] would be happier with the products [strike]it is promoting[/strike] being promoted. For another, targeted [STRIKE]advertising[/STRIKE] adverts repeatedly [STRIKE]creates[/STRIKE] create a desire in consumers to buy.

See my suggestions above, which avoids using "advertising" three times. The first "it" is clearly connected to "advertising". There's no other singular verb in the previous sentence that it could possibly refer to.

Please look carefully at my changes to your opening sentences. Please stop trying to start sentences with "So".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, everyone. I think it would be unclear if I use pronouns. So, I repeated 'advertising'. Is this okay? I don't know if 'advertisements' is appropriate. So, I didn't use it. Do you have a better solution?

The high sales of trendy consumer goods does reflect how powerful advertising is. For one thing, advertising is extremely effective at making people believe they can become happier with the products it is promoting. For another, targeted advertising repeatedly creates a desire in consumers to buy.
You can change the second "advertising" to "it" with no confusion.

I'd get rid of "repeatedly," though. You don't need it, and some readers might misunderstand what it modifies.

If you want to keep it, I'd either say "repeat targeted advertising" or "creates a repeating desire." But either way, it's wordy and doesn't strengthen your point.

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'd get rid of "repeatedly," though. You don't need it, and some readers might misunderstand what it modifies.

If you want to keep it, I'd either say "repeat targeted advertising" or "creates a repeating desire." But either way, it's wordy and doesn't strengthen your point.
Do you mean 'repeated'?
Repeated targeted advertising increases consumers' desire to buy. Is this correct?

Does "repeatedly" clearly modify the verb "plant" in the sentence below? I have to keep 'repeatedly', because what I want to say is that when you are on Facebook, you see the ad. When you read blogs, you see the ad. So, your desire to buy is repeatedly planted in your mind.

Targeted Advertising repeatedly plants a seed of desire in consumers’ minds to buy.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you mean 'repeated'?

No. Repeat can be an adjective.

Repeated targeted advertising increases consumers' desire to buy. Is this correct?

I don't know. I would use repeat. It's more natural.

Does "repeatedly" clearly modify the verb "plant" in the sentence below? I have to keep 'repeatedly', because what I want to say is that when you are on Facebook, you see the ad. When you read blogs, you see the ad. So, your desire to buy is repeatedly planted in your mind.

Yes, that's fine.

Targeted Advertising repeatedly plants a seed of desire in consumers’ minds to buy.

In that case, I'd say "Repeat targeted advertising" and use a different verb. You only plant a seed once. You don't plant a seed repeatedly.
You're trying to squeeze too many ideas into the sentence. Everyone knows that ads repeat. So why not just say "Targeted advertising plants a seed . . . ."?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The whole point of advertising is to get people to buy your product.

Status
Not open for further replies.