Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

After her first date with Boris, Anna had never before been so drawn to a man. Boris was not only handsome but also funny and wasn't afraid to talk about his feelings. Her former dates would often boast about their achievements and talk about their ambitious plans, while he lived in the present and didn't care what the future would bring. Anna's main worry was how to keep him. She suffered from a low self-esteem because of her failed relationships in the past, and she was afraid that if Boris found out he would fly away like a bird and never return.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, please redo the first sentence. Two:

while he lived in the present and didn't care what the future would bring

I wouldn't trust that person.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I felt that something was wrong with the first sentence, but I didn't know how to write it correctly. Would this version be OK?

After her first date with Boris, Anna had never before been drawn to a man as she had to him.

And the third sentence. But I still feel that something is wrong with it.
Her former dates would often boast about their achievements and talk about their ambitious plans, while he lived in the present, not bothering what the future would bring.

You and I wouldn't trust Boris, but believe me there are many girls from well-to-do families who prefer men like him rather than hard-working men. They want excitement and adventure, and men who have ordinary jobs are unable to give them what they are looking for because they have to work to pay their bills and taxes. This is one of the reason why criminals often get nice girls. It is their way of living that attracts those girls, who sometimes become criminals themselves to keep their men.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

After her first date with Boris, Anna was attracted to him like nobody else before. She had fallen for him--hard!

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if this version would be OK. Does "drawn to" and "attracted to" have the same meaning in this sentence?

After her first date with Boris, Anna was drawn to him like nobody else before.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
First date with Boris? :shock:

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Tdol,

This was another Boris. He lives from day to day. The one in Downing Street is poles apart from him and plans everything probably twenty years ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.