Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The researchers concluded that 2 of the 11 marks were from lion bites, but that the other 9 were made by stone tools — suggesting that one individual might have been butchering another. The authors ruled out other cut-making processes, such as wear or blemishes left by people handling the bone after it was were discovered; the colour of the marks match that of the bone’s surface, indicating they are of the same age, says Probiner.

Source: Nature

Okay now we've found a typo left by an editor of prestigious Nature: ......after it was were discovered.

The question here is: which one should be removed: was or were? I'm scraching my head and unable to decide. Because it depends on whether you take it as subjunctive mood or realistic: the former invites "were" to stay while the latter is hospitable to "was".

Which is better?

Last edited:

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
after it was discovered

(That somehow got past the proofreader.)

How on earth was it possible for the word "were" being there? It seems to me an unconscious struggle for the grammar somehow happened in the mind of the author/editor.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A lot of errors occur during the editing process rather than in the mind of the writer as she writes. You never know what form a sentence or passage of text may have had in a previous life. Sometimes these stray words remain as vestiges of a rejected expression.