[Vocabulary] All glory and (eternity/ immortality/ eternalness/ perpetuity/ imperishability)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdalghani

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Sudan
Current Location
Sudan
All glory and (eternity/ immortality/ eternalness/ perpetuity/ imperishability) go to the martyrs of our revolution. Which word goes with “glory” in this context?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"All glory and (eternity/immortality/eternalness/perpetuity/imperishability) go to the martyrs of our revolution."

Which word goes with “glory” in this context?

Note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread, and should include some/all of the words you are asking us about. Your actual question should appear only in the main body of the post. Don't put a space after a slash.

Note my corrections above.

Did you write the sentence yourself? If not, where did you find it? Note that there is no such word as "eternalness".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In what context do you want to use this phrase?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Immortality" is the best choice here for what I think you are trying to say.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher

It's snagging my brain for several reasons.

1 - I have to read "all" as modifying only "glory" and not the next thing, since "all immortality" isn't quite English. You can't quantify immortality; a thing is either immortal or it isn't.

2 - It's mixing a call to action with prayer. Men give glory but only god(s) can give immortality.

I'd suggest "all glory and eternal honor." I think your concept is that the martyrs should live forever in our hearts and memories?

Last edited by a moderator:

Abdalghani

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Sudan
Current Location
Sudan
Did you write the sentence yourself? If not, where did you find it? Note that there is no such word as "eternalness".

Yes,I wrote it myself. I depended on a dictionary application called VerbAce. It mentioned all those words as synonyms for immortality. That is why I raised that question.

Abdalghani

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Sudan
Current Location
Sudan
Dear emsr2d2,

I am grateful to you for your helpful corrections. Really, I find difficulty when I want to “reply with quote” button. I hope you will put up with me till I learn how to tackle this problem. Your help is welcome.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Pears in Juice, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The easy way, Pears in Juice, is to create a signature file to be appended to each of your posts, and include "Not a Teacher" in it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear emsr2d2,

I am grateful to you for your helpful corrections. Really, I find difficulty when I want to use the “reply with quote” button. I hope you will put up with me till I solve this problem. Your help is welcome.

Instead of "solve this problem" you could say "figure it out". (I press "Reply with Quote" then post my comment after the quote.)

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Abdalghani, I'm still waiting for a reply to my question in post #2: In what context do you want to use this phrase?

You thanked me for my question but haven't answered it yet.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The easy way [to add 'Not a Teacher'], Pears in Juice, is to create a signature file to be appended to each of your posts, and include "Not a Teacher" in it.

Unfortunately, Pears in Juice, you won't be able to do that until you have made ten posts.

The quickest way to increase your post count is to join in some of the threads in the Fun and Games forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.