[Grammar] All rights reserved/This translation published by arrangement ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(On a page of a book)

All rights reserved.
This translation published by arrangement with Alfred A. Knopf Inc., New York, N.Y., U.S.A.
-----------
I am trying to expand the two phrases - I call they
phrases because I think their verbs are omitted.

So:

a. All rights are reserved.
b. All rights have been reserved.

c. This translation is published by arrangement with Alfred A. Knopf Inc., New York, N.Y., U.S.A.
d.
This translation has been published by arrangement with Alfred A. Knopf Inc., New York, N.Y., U.S.A.
e. This translation was published by arrangement with Alfred A. Knopf Inc., New York, N.Y., U.S.A.

In my opinion, (a) and (b) are both acceptable. As for (c), (d), and (e), I think (e) is correct because the translation was published in the past. What does you think? (As a Chinese speaker, I usually feel confused about tenses in the English language. :-?)

------
(Source)

1NyFyLl.jpg

Why are you concerned to 'expand' what native speakers never do?
I want to practice my English skills about tenses. I know they are natural as they are, but what would the tenses be if we would like to learn about tenses of the English language from them? Could you help me? :)

Last edited:
Hello, friends. :)

I understand the two phrases (or maybe verb-omitted sentences) in post #1 are perfect for native speakers. I think native speakers all know the tense of the omitted verb in that kind of structure, if they are asked. However, we learners, at least me, don't. I would say this is a huge difference between native speakers and learners, although they may all know [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]that kind of structure is natural. This is why I asked this question.

I am not trying to add something [/FONT]unnecessary in [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]this [/FONT]kind of structure, but I just want to learn more about verb tenses. Could someone please help me?

Those are standard notes used in publications since time immemorial.
If you want a verb to be added to each of the notes to make them into sentences, the simple present tense is appropriate since they are meant to be current at the time of publishing.

We don't even think of an omitted verb, let alone its tense.
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]All rights reserved.[/FONT]
This translation published by arrangement with Alfred A. Knopf Inc., New York, N.Y., U.S.A.
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]------[/FONT]
Grammatically[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif], this kind of structure is clearly in the passive voice, so there should be a verb omitted or implied before [/FONT]reserved and published, isn't it? :shock:

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]All rights reserved.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]------[/FONT]
Grammatically[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif], this kind of structure is clearly in the passive voice, so there should be a verb omitted or implied before [/FONT]reserved and published, isn't [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] there? :shock:
Yes, I suppose so: are and is.

If you want a verb to be added to each of the notes to make them into sentences, the simple present tense is appropriate since they are meant to be current at the time of publishing.
Hi, tedmc. :)

After looking up the use of the word current in dictionaries, I found the word current is often used before nouns, rather than after the verb to be, so I am afraid it is not appropriate in your sentence. I would use "happening now" instead.

Last edited:
Hi, tedmc. :)

After looking up the use of the word current in dictionaries, I found it is often used before nouns, rather than after the verb to be, so I am afraid it is not appropriate in your sentence. I would use "happening now" instead.

Kadioguy
No, the word is correctly used. "Happening" is not an appropriate replacement of the word.

You say"a document is current", not "a document is happening".

Kadioguy

No, the word is correctly used. "Happening" is not an appropriate replacement of the word.

You say"a document is current", not "a document is happening".
Please look at here:
-------------
cur‧rent
adjective [only before noun]
happening or existing now SYN present

the current president
In its current state, the car is worth £1,000.

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/current

--------

current
adjective

[only before noun]
happening now; of the present time

current prices
a budget for the current year
your current employer

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/current_1?q=current

Read the second entry here.

There is a current trend.
The trend is current

They mean the same thing

I think they have different meanings.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/current

adjective [usually ADJECTIVE noun]

Current means happening, being used, or being done at the present time.

The current situation is very different to that in 1990.
He plans to repeal a number of current policies.
When asked for your views about your current job, on no account must you be negative.

Read the second entry here.

There is a current trend.
The trend is current

They mean the same thing
adjective
Ideas and customs that are current are generally accepted and used by most people.

Current thinking suggests that toxins play only a small part in the build up of cellulite.
This custom was still current in the late 1960s.

Current also means being up-to-date and valid when applied to documents.

Those are standard notes used in publications since time immemorial.

I think they have different meanings.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/current

adjective [usually ADJECTIVE noun]

Current means happening, being used, or being done at the present time.

The current situation is very different to that in 1990.
He plans to repeal a number of current policies.
When asked for your views about your current job, on no account must you be negative.

adjective
Ideas and customs that are current are generally accepted and used by most people.

Current thinking suggests that toxins play only a small part in the build up of cellulite.
This custom was still current in the late 1960s.

Well, to make it simple and clear, I now would use:

... the simple present tense is appropriate since they are meant to be legally or officially acceptable at the time of publishing.

I think that is being too wordy. You can use the word "valid" to mean the same thing if you don't like the word "current".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back