All the books which he collected for his whole life were burned to ashed by a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
All the books which he collected for his whole life were burned to ashes by a fire. (from my teacher's handout)
Is this sentence correct? First, I think "for his whole life is" wrong, and it should be "IN his whole life". Second, "by a fire" should be "IN a fire". Am I right? Thanks!

Last edited:
1. For his whole life is correct. However, the tense is wrong; the first verb should be in the past perfect.

2. Either in or by works. But it should be ashes, and the sentence could end there. What, other than a fire, could burn the book collection to ashes?

1. For his whole life is correct. However, the tense is wrong; the first verb should be in the past perfect.

2. Either in or by works. But it should be ashes, and the sentence could end there. What, other than a fire, could burn the book collection to ashes?

So, the correct sentence is: All the books which he had collected for his whole life were burned to ashes in/by a fire. Right?
But, can I say "in his whole life" instead?

You could. I'd say "over his entire life".

I'd say "All the books he had collected during his life/lifetime ..."

1. For his whole life is correct.

1. Do you really say "for his whole life" in English? Can I say "IN his whole life"?
2. "were burned to ashes in/by a fire" Between "in" and "by", which do you prefer?
3. "All the books *which/that* he had collected for his whole life were burned to ashes in/by a fire."
I find that which seems to be incorrect here; the correct word should be that or just to omit it. Am I right?

"All the books he had collected during his life/lifetime were destroyed in a fire."

1. Do you really say "for his whole life" in English? Can I say "IN his whole life"?

I like "in" better, but I'm not going to say "for" is wrong. It's certainly understandable, anyway.

2. "were burned to ashes in/by a fire" Between "in" and "by", which do you prefer?

In.

3. "All the books *which/that* he had collected for his whole life were burned to ashes in/by a fire."
I find that which seems to be incorrect here; the correct word should be that or just to omit it. Am I right?

In American English, it would be "that."

Just what you needed: more opinions.

I agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back