Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi. Just a simple question that's been bothering me. I graduated from a university in the US. I was an international student (I'm from Malaysia) there, so should I refer myself as 'American graduate' or 'US graduate' or any other way?

The reason I asked is because from my understanding 'American' refers to a citizen of the US; that said, American graduates are graduates whose nationality is American.

I came across people who corrected me when I referred my Malaysian friends graduated from Japan as 'Japan graduates'. They said 'Japanese graduates' instead.

Could you please explain to me which way is correct or does it not matter at all?

Thanks in advance!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi. Just a simple question that's been bothering me. I graduated from a university in the US. I was an international student (I'm from Malaysia) there, so should I refer myself as 'American graduate' or 'US graduate' or any other way?

The reason I asked is because from my understanding 'American' refers to a citizen of the US; that said, American graduates are graduates whose nationality is American.

I came across people who corrected me when I referred my Malaysian friends graduated from Japan as 'Japan graduates'. They said 'Japanese graduates' instead.

Could you please explain to me which way is correct or does it not matter at all?

Thanks in advance!

"A graduate of a US university" works.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thanks in advance!
The style in the US is to name the university you attended, such as, "I graduated from Yale University." If you assume that the other person isn't familiar with Yale University, or San Diego State University, then one would say, "I graduated from San Diego State University in the US."

afm14

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Referring to bhaisahab's reply, I take it from here that 'US university' = 'American university', right? I can use either one I assume.

Anyway, thanks bhaisahab and Gillnetter!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, you can.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You could be a foreigner who is still a US graduate, i.e. one who graduates in the US. And an American graduate may receive a degree while abroad.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Referring to bhaisahab's reply, I take it from here that 'US university' = 'American university', right? I can use either one I assume.

Anyway, thanks bhaisahab and Gillnetter!
Generally yes, but you should know that there are a number of countries which identify themselves as American. They are on the American continent. For example, the Ibero-American University in Mexico and the Central-American University in El Salvador are not named such because of any connections with the US but because they are on the American continent.

Status
Not open for further replies.