Among the activities in the zany show was a take-off on the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"

Ibrahim Nasser

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Among the activities in the zany show was a take-off on the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"
what is meant by take off on?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is meant by "take-off on"?
Before we continue, please tell us where you saw the original sentence. You must quote your source whenever you give us someone else's words.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That link takes us to a student sign-in page for a website so we can't see the relevant page. However, this time, the link is sufficient.

A "take-off" is an imitation. In my opinion, it should have been followed by "of", not "on". Also, either the third "the" shouldn't be there or it should be followed by "show".

Among the activities in the zany show was a take-off of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?
Among the activities in the zany show was a take-off of the show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

I find "activities" a bit odd there but as I've never seen this "zany show", I don't know if it's actually the appropriate word.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A take off on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" would be a skit or something based on that show.