Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is there an idiom which means someone spends a lot of money using their credit card? Can I use splash the cash for this situation or is that only used for when someone actually pays by cash? I already know "splurge" but I'm looking for something similar to splash the cash for credit card.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is there an idiom which means someone spends a lot of money using their credit card? Can I use splash the cash for this situation or is that only used for when someone actually pays with cash? I already know "splurge" but I'm looking for something similar to splash the cash for credit card.
max out

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I already knew max out. Hoping to find something else.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I already knew "max out". I was hoping to find something else.
I wouldn't use "max out" for the situation you're describing. It doesn't necessarily mean someone spends a lot of money on their credit card. It simply means that they have used up all or almost all of the available credit.

I associate "splurge" with a single high-value purchase.

I can't think of a natural verb or phrase that expresses what you're looking for.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@lnoakes Out of curiosity, where have you been for the last 14 years?! It's not often someone who joined in July 2009 doesn't get around to making their first post till nearly July 2023!

Martin45

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is there an idiom which means someone spends a lot of money using their credit card? Can I use splash the cash for this situation or is that only used for when someone actually pays by cash? I already know "splurge" but I'm looking for something similar to splash the cash for credit card.
Not a teacher

Absolutely, you can use "plastic splurge" to convey spending a lot using a credit card. While "splash the cash" is commonly associated with physical cash, "plastic splurge" creatively adapts the idiom for credit card spending. So, go ahead and use it to capture that spending spree!