Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi guys,

I am in Year 9(Grade 8 in the USA), and I am studying the play 'An Inspector Calls'. Though the play is set around the girl Eva Smith who had died, I was interested to know whether or how the characters would've reacted if it was a man of working OR upper class background who had died. My teacher was not very interested in my question so I would like to hear the opinion of others.

Thank you,

Luke

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If the victim had been a working man or upper-class man, it would have been a different play.

Your teacher is paid to help you to study the play as Priestley wrote it. He or she has no time to speculate on how it would differ with a completely different plotline.

It's like asking how Oliver Twist would have reacted if he'd won the lottery, or asking your history teacher how the Battle of Hastings would have worked out if Harold had dodged the arrow.

It's not surprising your teacher wasn't very interested; I'll be amazed if any of our members are.

No offence. :cool:

SPOILER ALERT: There'd have been no play if the 'inspector' had been asked to produce a warrant card before they let him in.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think that's an interesting question, Luke. Why don't you tell us what you think?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's a fair comment, jutfrank. On reflection, I was wrong to be so dismissive.

There's certainly room in this forum for anybody to contribute to what could turn out to be an interesting discussion.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But class is central to the play, which was performed in the Soviet Union before the UK.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The 1945 production must have fascinated its Russian audience, given that social classes had been officially abolished in 1917.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But they knew it would annoy people in the UK.

And I do think reactions would have been different if an upper class woman had died.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that's an interesting question, Luke. Why don't you tell us what you think?
Welcome, Luke!

I agree with Jut. Your teacher might be too overworked to give students student much individual attention. That happens a lot.

So, yes, it would be great to hear what you think.

bobfily

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not against modern interpretations, but classical pieces must be canonical.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, bobfily.

What does "classical pieces must be canonical" mean? What has it to do with the topic of this thread?

bobfily

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum, bobfily.

What does "classical pieces must be canonical" mean? What has it to do with the topic of this thread?
This is the answer to the student about the accidental death of people of high society.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think you are saying that, in what you call 'classical pieces', we should not speculate about hypothetical changes. So Luke's question about the reactions of the other characters if the person who dies had been male is one that should not be asked.

Have I understood you correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.