Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
John, Peter and Sarah are at a ski resort. John loses his balance and falls down. He then tries to get up, but he can't, so Sarah and Peter call for an ambulance. When it arrives, the doctor says John's leg is broken and decides to take him to the hospital. In about an hour, when John is already in the hospital, Peter calls Rick (who's his, Sarah's and John's friend). Rick says to Peter: "How are you, Peter?" Peter replies to him with the following:

I'm okay, but John broke his leg, Sarah and I called for an ambulance, and it [took]/[has now taken] him to the hospital. We're going to visit him there. Would you like to come with us?

Does either option work in the context given?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd say "I'm OK. John broke his leg and was taken to hospital by ambulance. Do you want to come with us to visit him?"

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If the speaker chooses to enumerate the three events in the order in which they happened:

1. I'm OK. John broke his leg, we called for an ambulance, and it took him to hospital. Do you want to come with us to visit him?

2. I'm OK. John broke his leg, we called for an ambulance, and it has now taken him to hospital. Do you want to come with us to visit him?

Are versions #1 and #2 possible, or are they completely unnatural?