Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"barker" - I don't know if it is an appropriate word. It is a person who encourages you to enter and order something in front of a restaurant.

depositphotos_258245098-stock-photo-people-standing-and-reading-a.jpg

Can I use the expresion below to answer a barker if I only look at the menu in front of a restaurant and don't need help:

I’m just looking / browsing.

I know I can use that expression in a shop but I am not sure if it is possible also in a restaurant.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes, I think that's natural.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, you learn something new every day. I have never heard the term "barker" in this context in my entire life. For me, those people are just "waiters who try and drag you inside"!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are they so hard up for business that they go outside and try to talk people into going into the restaurant?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's very common in many places. I'd say it's more a matter of matching the competition than of desperation.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm familiar with the people, but the word was new to me. I will be using it in future.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are they so hard up for business that they go outside and try to talk people into going into the restaurant?

On the beautiful waterfront in Chania in Crete, it's impossible to go for a nice stroll along the pavement that's lined with restaurants. Every one of them has a barker who will step into your path and say "Good afternoon/evening. Are you looking to eat? We have a wonderful menu, blah, blah, blah". Obviously, you say "No, thanks. I'm just out for a walk/I've already eaten" etc but two metres later, you're outside the next restaurant and you're met with another one, and then another, and another. They're not hard up for business - most of them are pretty full already. There's just so much competition that they've resorted to what I call these strong-arm tactics. They've ruined many a nice evening stroll for me when on holiday in various places!
They're not quite as irritating as "chuggers" (charity muggers) - the people who loiter in the street and ambush you to try and talk you into signing up to regularly donating to a charity, but it's a close-run thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.