Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I disagree with that. For me, the following countable use sounds fine and makes good sense:

He climbed up to the roof to adjust the antenna for a better reception.

I agree. Not only is it something I'd say, but I've heard similar.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Interesting. So would you say "I can't get a reception when I'm on the bus" rather than "I can't get any reception when I'm on the bus"?

Um, I'm not sure. I always say a signal when it comes to phones. Using reception sounds odd to me in this context.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Um, I'm not sure. I always say a signal when it comes to phones. Using reception sounds odd to me in this context.
That's a good point which we really should have made much earlier in the thread. We talk about a TV or a radio getting good reception, but for digital devices*, where reception is only the first attribute of a good connection, we use signal.

*(TVs were analog devices for so long that I imagine many people who watch over-the-air HDTV, which is digital and therefore technically similar to cell/mobile [AmE/BrE] phone technology, still use "reception" to describe the service quality. Broadcast TV is an obsolescent technology that's little used by people under thirty or so, at least in the United States, so most of its users are probably unaware of the significant technological difference between HDTV and what we had before.)

Status
Not open for further replies.