Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Japan
Everyone knows that "she is a doctor" can be contracted in "she's a doctor" as well as "the name of her sister is Aimy" her sister's name is Aimy".

But saying "her sinster's name's Aimy" is wrong, isn't it? I think that the same applies to "Aimy's a teacher". Am I right?
If this is the case, then the rule is that 's can be used as is only with subject pronouns (he, she, it).
Am I correct?
Thank you!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. There's nothing wrong with"Her sister's name's Amy (usual spelling)."

"Amy's a teacher" is fine, too.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Everyone knows that "She is a doctor" can be contracted [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] to "She's a doctor" [STRIKE]as well as[/STRIKE] and that "The name of her sister is Aimy" to "Her sister's name is Aimy".

But saying "her [STRIKE]sinster's[/STRIKE] sister's name's Aimy" is wrong, isn't it? I think that the same applies to "Aimy's a teacher". Am I right?
If this is the case, then the rule is that 's can be used as is only with subject pronouns (he, she, it).
Am I correct?
Thank you!

There is nothing wrong with "Her sister's name's Amy" or "Aimy's a teacher". You can almost always add apostrophe+s to someone's name to indicate the omission of the word "is" after it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Her sister's neighbour's friend's doctor's dog's name's Amy. :tick:

misu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Japan
Thank you also for the corrections. I see, it is "contracted to" and not "contacted in". But why is "as well as" wrong there? Would it work if I said:

Everyone knows that "She is a doctor" can be contracted to "She's a doctor" as well as "The name of her sister is Aimy" can be contracted to "Her sister's name is Aimy"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Everyone knows that "She is a doctor" can be contracted to "She's a doctor" as well as that "The name of her sister is Aimy" can be contracted to "Her sister's name is Aimy"?

See above.

misu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Japan
I see. So, as I supposed, "as well as" would work well. Yes, I forgot the "that" :-D.
Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I see. So, as I supposed, "as well as" would work as well. Yes, I forgot the "that" :-D.
Thanks.

Yes, had you included "that" in post 1, I probably wouldn't have changed it. I changed it to "and that" because it's less wordy and says the same thing.

misu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Japan
Speaking of "also", I can't help thinking of "too".:lol:

How does "too" behaves?

1) Does it always come at the end of a sentence?

Besides,

2) do the following sentences:

A: Is Claude from Canada too? and
B: Yes, he ist from Canada too.

have the exact meaning of:

A: Is also Claude from Canada?
B: Yes, he also is from Canada.

?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, but I would shift also:

A: Is Claude also from Canada?
B: Yes, he is also from Canada. (This one is not essential, but sounds better to me. A's question sounds unnatural.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A: Is also Claude from Canada?
B: Yes, he also is from Canada.
These sentences are incorrect. "Also" can go two different places in both of them, but it doesn't work where it is.

EDIT: Actually, sentence B is possible in the unlikely case that Claude is somehow from both Canada and another place.

misu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Japan
Oh, I am sorry for I have just realised that I posted this question in the wrong thread. I started two separate threads recently, one is this one and the second one is about the position of "also" in a sentece.

I do not have the faculties to move this last question posted here to the correct thread, therefore I have no other choince than to answer here.

As a non-native, I cannot judge this point but having spoken in the other thread about the position of "also"depending on the focus of the sentence, I thought that the correct position of "also" in my example sentence should be before "Claude", meanig that someone is asking if not only Peter, James and Amy are from Canadad but also Claude.
With this thoughts in mind, I have the feeling that if I say:

Is Claude also from Canada?

it sounds to me as if I am asking whether Clause is also form Canada apart from being from Australia. Whereas, putting "also" before "Claude", it sounds to me as if I am asking wether not only Peter, James and Amy but also Claude is from Canada.

At least this is the feeling that I have about how to position "also" in a sentence depending on the focus.

It seems that my understanig on this question fits the explanation provided by #Tdol:

For me the most likely interpretations of these are:

I also have bought some milk = I am not the only person to have bought milk
I have also bought some milk = I have bought something else, or, less likely, I am not the only person to have bought milk

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...n-a-sentence?p=1618496&viewfull=1#post1618496

Status
Not open for further replies.