what + would or had or did = what'd
why + would or had or did = why'd
where + would or had or did = where'd
who+ would or had or did = who'd
*when + would or had or did = when'd
*which + would or had or did = which'd

Is this list correct?

Last edited:
You may hear such contractions in speech, but none are common in writing.

'True' is not correct in your title. Use 'correct'.

You may hear such contractions in speech, but none are common in writing.

'True' is not correct in your title. Use 'correct'.
I didn't hear when'd and which'd in any video.
Is it common that people to use when'd and which'd in their speaking?

I didn't hear when'd and which'd in any video.
That's wrong. You should use the present perfect here because you're talking about any time up to the present.
I haven't (ever) heard "when'd" ...
I have/I've (never) heard "when'd" ...

Is it common that people to use when'd and which'd in their speaking?
They may not be very common, but I wouldn't say they're rare either. They're not wrong in speech.

I'd say both "when'd" and "which'd" are both used in BrE.

"When did he do that?" can sound like "Wendy do that?"
"When did" gets shortened to "Wend" and the "h" can vanish from the start of "he", leaving just an "ee" sound.

"You could use blue, which'd be wrong, but you could still use it" might sound like "You could use blue, witcherd be wrong ...".
Sorry about the weird spelling but I don't do phonetic symbols. Imagine the name "Richard" but with a "w" at the start.

I have never heard "when'd" and I hope it doesn't become popular around here. (Are people so lazy that they can't say "when did"?)

I'd say both "when'd" and "which'd" are both used in BrE.

"When did he do that?" can sound like "Wendy do that?"
"When did" gets shortened to "Wend" and the "h" can vanish from the start of "he", leaving just an "ee" sound.

"You could use blue, which'd be wrong, but you could still use it" might sound like "You could use blue, witcherd be wrong ...".
Sorry about the weird spelling but I don't do phonetic symbols. Imagine the name "Richard" but with a "w" at the start.

I could definitely see myself saying "when'd" as you said. Wendy.

I can't imagine even trying to pronounce "which'd."

I have never heard "when'd" and I hope it doesn't become popular around here. (Are people so lazy that they can't say "when did"?)
It's never a shortened version of "when did"; it's used for "when would".

I wouldn't say 'when'd=when did" is never used, but I think it's more common for 'did' to get paired with 'you' and reduced to 'didja'.

However, I have heard 'when-did-you' reduced to simply 'whendja', and similarly 'where-did-you' to something like 'wherdja'.

A. Whendja get that?
B. Tuesday.
A. Wheredja find it?
B. Over at Oscar's.

Right. I hadn't considered those.

I wouldn't say 'when'd=when did" is never used, but I think it's more common for 'did' to get paired with 'you' and reduced to 'didja'.

However, I have heard 'when-did-you' reduced to simply 'whendja', and similarly 'where-did-you' to something like 'wherdja'.

A. Whendja get that?
B. Tuesday.
A. Wheredja find it?
B. Over at Oscar's.
I agree with that but that's only when "When did" is followed by "you". My example was for "When did" was followed by "he".

I stand by what I said in post 2: You may hear such contractions in speech, but none are common in writing.

It's never a shortened version of "when did"; it's used for "when would".
Well, it's still two syllables. And it would be clearer if they used the words instead of making a contraction out of it. (My opinion.)

It's not two syllables for me. It simply sounds like "Wend".

I agree about wend. Which'd isn't a great saving on effort, so it's less common- it's the same syllable count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back