Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I know that one can use "the" in order to make generalizations in some circumstances for e.g. "the computer changed our lives.", but I cannot really understand how "the" in the following image can mean generalizations

attachment.php

Attachments

• Modern English Page-page-001.jpg
    Modern English Page-page-001.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 36

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think the book is wrong. A generalization using the article would read as follows:

The European swallow is migratory.

toloue_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think the book is wrong. A generalization using the article would read as follows:

The European swallow is migratory.

What do you think about "one unit of a class"? What is it? And, don't you think that it is because of this that the book has classified this sentence in generalization category?

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am not a teacher

I don't think second sentence in any of the above "one unit of a class" is generalization.

toloue_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am not a teacher

I don't think second sentence in any of the above "one unit of a class" is generalization.

Do you all agree with the above sentence?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Do you all agree with the above sentence?
Regarding "one unit of a class", I think the book is wrong, or at least confusing. It merits ignoring. Taking the last few lines, "Furniture from Denmark is very attractive" is a generalisation. "The furniture from Denmark ..." is a generalisation of a different sort, since it implies that all the items are of comparatively equal attractiveness. On the other hand, "The chair over there ..." is not a generalisation. It's the opposite, since it specifies which chair you are referring to.

Referring to "one unit of a class" would seem usually to be a specification. But you could write "The chair over there demonstrates the attractiveness of Danish furniture." That would be a generalisation, but not in the sense that I think that page means.

I just don't think the page is a good explanation of the use of "the". The concept is uses seems to need too much analysis and explication to be of much use.

Status
Not open for further replies.