Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My year 4 son has to write a "family motto" for the ary Suffix and draw a shield to illustrate the same. Not really sure where to start!! Has anyone got any ideas. We have come up with several ary words, but illustrating them and turning them into a motto is where we are struggling!!:-?

An -arius (Latin) was a person who did something (Fr -ier, Sp -ero, Pg -eiro, Eng -eer...) so how about something like 'If a job's worth doing it's worth doing well'? (What a project for a 4-yr-old!!! What is their teacher smoking? ;-))

b

Is it just me, or is anybody else wondering what the heck they're talking about?

Rover:-?

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is anybody else wondering what the heck they're talking about?

Rover:-?

I thought the Ary Suffix was some place in Scotland or something like that.

Or dictionary? ;-)

He's most likely being asked to be some kind of visionary​ of his family's future.

Year 4.

:up: It's a fair cop. :) Still, sheesh :-?...

(For those who don't know the - current - UK education system, Year 4 is mostly 9 yr-olds, with a few 8-yr-olds if the Head isn't under the thumb of a Local Authority who decree that children start at 5 [and a day less is too young!])

b
PS Rather than say 'An -arius is a person...' I should have said 'An -arius is often a person: functionary :tick: notary :tick: emissary :tick: visionary :tick: , but dictionary :cross: (except in the metaphorical sense: 'he is a walking dictionary' - which is pretty rare, though I was once called Le Grand Robert [this is a dictionary joke - Le Grand Robert ;-]))

b

I suggest a skeleton with the word Scary.

:?: But in 'scary' it's not a suffix; it's just a coincidence that it's spelt -A-R-Y.

(I agree though that my approach was ridiculously abstract for Year 4). ;-)

b

1. Welcome to the forum, Thermo. :hi:
2:. Dispose of your young son's teacher in an appropriate manner: :snipersm:

1. Welcome to the forum, Thermo. :hi:
2:. Dispose of your young son's teacher in an appropriate manner: :snipersm:

That's a bit harsh. Did you run out of handguns? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back