[Grammar] As a full performance level Instructor provides intermediate and advanced level ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(From Vacancy Details)

Position Title: Language Instructor

[...]

Duties
As a full performance level Instructor provides intermediate and advanced level Standard Chinese language and area studies instruction to be a full range of students from the Department of State, other U.S. Government agencies, and possibly other organizations and institutions; develops curriculum and program materials; and provides guidance and assistance to developmental level Instructors. The language and area studies instruction provided by the incumbent serves as the critical foundation upon which students develop the language and cross-cultural skills they need to perform effectively as foreign affairs professionals in Chinese-speaking assignments.

https://erajobs.state.gov/dos-era/v...rpt0&returnToSearch=true&jnum=27073&orgId=112
---

The blue text sounds strange to me. I would say:

"As a full performance level Instructor who provides intermediate and advanced level ..."

"... area studies instruction to [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] a full range of students from the Department of State ...".

What do you think?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As a full performance level Instructor provides intermediate and advanced level Standard Chinese language and area studies instruction to be a full range of students from the Department of State, other U.S. Government agencies, and possibly other organizations and institutions;
I think that's a mess. The 'As' and ''be' need to be deleted.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I think that's a mess. The 'As' and ''be' need to be deleted.
I am surprised about that. It's from the website of U.S Department Of State after all.
:-o

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Not to get into politics, but it was widely reported in the American media three or four years ago that the Department of State had been substantially stripped of its talent.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That probably didn't take long. ;-)

ps. In case anybody infers an anti-American slant from my last two points, I must state clearly that I would make the same snarky remarks about the language used by politicians, bureaucrats, sociologists, etc, in any English-speaking country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.