Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Do my sentences sound natural? Is it OK to say "as furious as a wasp"?

Because the bouncers wouldn't let him in, James became as furious as a wasp. He swore at them and called them names, and when people in the queue tried to calm him down, he turned his anger at them. I watched him thinking this was the last time I was out with him. When he was sober, James was the kindest man you could meet, but when he got a few pints in him, it was impossible to reason with him. On a couple of occasions, I was ashamed when I had to apology to bouncers, landlords and nightclub owners for his behaviour, and I had had enough.

That evening, he reminded me of a fighting cock, his blond hair disheveled, his eyes bloodshot, his arms flailing. I thought it was luck he was short and light, otherwise he would probably look more menacing . As I watched him having his outburst, I thought if he knew what he was doing, he would never have touched a bottle. And I felt pity for his wife who was waiting for him in their flat. I wondered why she tolerated his drinking bouts and hadn't divorce him already.

Suddenly, James came up to a bouncer and tried to punch him, only to be floored by a hard right. Before he could understand what was going on, other bouncers grabbed him by his arms and legs and held him pinned to the ground. A couple of women screamed while James uttered some squeal-like sounds. I didn't move and watched the incident with amusement. When you are thirty-five you should act your age, I thought. Then the police van arrived and James was bundled into it and they drove off down the empty street. My father's voice sounded in my mind: "Only an idiot uses alcohol as a drug."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's OK to say it, but it isn't idiomatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.