as if it had wanted that touch of earthiness to reaffirm her imperviousness.

• Thread starter Deleted member 724652
  • Start date
  • Views : 583
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 724652

Please let me know what the bold part means.

She carried her head high enough - even when we believed that she was fallen. It was as if she demanded more than ever recognition of her dignity as the last Grierson; as if it had wanted that touch of earthiness to reaffirm her imperviousness.

Source: the short story A Rose for Emily

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We ask members not to post here questions they have already posted in another forum unless they have not received satisfactory answers there. If that happens, we ask you to post a link to that other forum so that we can see what has been said there.

Many of us are members of other forums, and it is frustrating if we spend time responding to a question in one forum only to find it has already received a satisfactory response in another.

Jemima23

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher.

My guess would be: it's a character who knows her worth, and other people's distorted perception of her (as "fallen") only "reaffirms her imperviousness". But it would be helpful to have more context.

D

Deleted member 724652

Not a teacher.

My guess would be: it's a character who knows her worth, and other people's distorted perception of her (as "fallen") only "reaffirms her imperviousness". But it would be helpful to have more context.
Many thanks for your answer.
I've mentioned the name of the story from which I have taken this excerpt. You're right about having more context; but, I didn't want to post a long passage.

Status
Not open for further replies.