Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Cyprus
Current Location
Greece
Hello!

The general grammar rule, when we refer to similarity, is: "like+noun" and "as+clause".

Why then, "This year, as last year, there will be no bonus", is correct? "Year" is a noun and it should be used with like?!

And another question. When I want to give an example, "such as" is the same as "like"? For example: "I like sports such as/ like basketball and tennis".

When 'as' is used as a preposition, it can be followed by a noun.
'Such as' and 'like' mean the same to me in your example sentence.

If in this sentence "as" is a preposition, what does it mean? What does it express (What is its function)?

'The same as'.

Hello!

The general grammar rule, when we refer to similarity, is: "like+noun" and "as+clause".

Why then, "This year, as last year, there will be no bonus", is correct? "Year" is a noun and "like" [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] should be used with it, shouldn't it ? [STRIKE]like?!
[/STRIKE]
That's a good question. However, here you are saying the situations (not the years) were similar. In other words, you're really saying "as was the case last year" (the full clause "as it was the case last year"). Thus, you need "as".

If you were comparing years, then yes, you would use "like". For example,
This year, like last year, was terrible for badgers. Their numbers are still declining.

And another question.
In future, please submit a separate thread for unrelated questions.

When I want to give an example, is "such as" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] the same as "like"? For example: "I like sports such as/like basketball and tennis".
You can do that, but if you're using "like" twice in close proximity, the sentence becomes somewhat clumsy.

Be careful with this type of construction. "I like sports such as/ like basketball and tennis".
I know it's very often used, but unless the hearer can work out the relevant similarities between basketball and tennis that might make you like them, you might as well leave out 'like' or 'such as' altogether and say, "I like basketball and tennis."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back