Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
Which of these versions are possible?

People from the Philippines and from Britain........

1 share only one big similarity.
2 have only one big similarity.
3 have only one big thing in common.
4 have only one big common ground.
5 have only one big overlap.

People from the Philippines and people from Britain........

1 share only one big similarity.
2 have only one big similarity.
3 have only one big thing in common.
Use a more specific adjective than "big"; e.g. "major."

4 have only one big common ground.
This one just about works (if you use e.g. "major" instead of "big"), but it does not mean the same as the previous three.

5 have only one big overlap.
This one doesn't work.

Try:
People from the Philippines have only one major thing in common with British people.

Last edited:
I wonder what it is.:-?

A strange affection for Bovril?

Use a more specific adjective than "big"; e.g. "major."

This one just about works (if you use e.g. "major" instead of "big"), but it does not mean the same as the previous three.

This one doesn't work.

Try:
People from the Philippines have only one major thing in common with British people.

What is the difference in meaning between 1-3 and 4?
The context is that these people have different looks, physics, behavior, eating habits, etc.
But one important thing they have in common is that many British people don't want to be Europeans anymore and many Philippine people don't want to be Asians anymore. They are identifying as "Atlantic Islanders" respectively "Pacific Islanders" now.

I'm pretty sure that all people accelerate at the same rate if they step off a cliff, and demonstrate in countless other ways that they are subject to the same physics.

Has any Briton actually claimed to have some kind of "Atlantic islander" identity? I have to think that would give a chuckle to Greenlanders, Canary Islanders, and Virgin Islanders.

.I think he meant physiques.

What is the difference in meaning between 1-3 and 4?
The latter is not so much about national character as it is about attitude (e.g about a particular issue).

The context is that these people have different looks, physical characteristics, behavior, eating habits, etc.
But one important thing they have in common is that many British people don't want to be Europeans anymore and many Philippine people don't want to be Asians anymore. They are identifying as "Atlantic Islanders" [STRIKE]respectively[/STRIKE] and "Pacific Islanders" respectively now.
In that case, consider the sentence I suggested in post #2.

Unless the country floats off to another part of the world, British people will always be European. I assume you are referring to the referendum which resulted in the United Kingdom now being in the process of leaving the European Union. ​Don't get them confused.

The label European may also refer to culture, as well as geography and politics. In each domain it has a different sense.

Unless the country floats off to another part of the world, British people will always be European. I assume you are referring to the referendum which resulted in the United Kingdom now being in the process of leaving the European Union. ​Don't get them confused.

Yes I was referring to the Brexit and I think, after leaving the EU, they could establish a Northern Atlantic Union with Iceland, Greenland, etc. and then people will probably not identify as "Europeans" anymore but as "Atlantic Islanders". And then, maybe in 10 or 20 years, people will realize that the new union isn't strong enough to compete with the EU, China, America etc. Eventually, it could be that they maybe become the 51st state of the USA then or want to become a member of the EU again.

I think, after leaving the EU, they could establish a Northern Atlantic Union with Iceland, Greenland, etc. and then people will probably not identify as "Europeans" anymore but as "Atlantic Islanders". And then, maybe in 10 or 20 years, people will realize that the new union isn't strong enough to compete with the EU, China, America etc. Eventually, it could be that they maybe become the 51st state of the USA then or want to become a member of the EU again.

It's good that you've thought this through!

In all the discussions I have had or read with Brexiters, I have never heard anyone suggest an alliance with Iceland and Greenland. People talk about free trade agreements with the US, India and China, but Iceland and Greenland don't appear on the radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back