Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello teachers,
I have a question regarding the use of the term noted in the title.

Is it correct to say 'The main attractions are accessible on foot at walking distance'
I wonder if "accessible on foot" is redundant? or the phrase is OK?

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"On foot at walking distance" is redundant.
"The main attractions are all within walking distance."

"Accessible on foot" is often used restrictively, to mean "Not accessible by vehicle." "The mountain lookout is only accessible by foot." It doesn't mean the distance.

Kazuki

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
"On foot at walking distance" is redundant.
"The main attractions are all within walking distance."

"Accessible on foot" is often used restrictively, to mean "Not accessible by vehicle." "The mountain lookout is only accessible by foot." It doesn't mean the distance.

Thank you Raymott for the reply,
I don't understand why the use of 'accessible on foot ' is considered restrictive. The example that you put shows not accessible by vehicle because of the word 'ONLY'. That I can understand.
However, If I just want to point out that we can go to the main attractions by walking (we don't have to use the public transports or whatever) and these different attractions are within walking distance, I should just put within walking distance? It's comprehensible that we can walk and it shows more or less the distance...?
For me, accessible on foot doesn't necessarily mean not accessible by vehicle unless we add the word 'ONLY'.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I just want to point out that we can go to the main attractions by walking (we don't have to use the public transports or whatever) and these different attractions are within walking distance, I should just put within walking distance? It's comprehensible that we can walk and it shows more or less the distance...?
For me, accessible on foot doesn't necessarily mean not accessible by vehicle unless we add the word 'ONLY'.

Accessible on foot means you can get there on foot. You might have to walk six weeks, but you won't have to go part of the way by boat, for example.

Within walking distance means that an able-bodied person can walk there in a relatively brief time. It's a good choice if that's the idea you're trying to convey.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Within walking distance' is useless as a guide to how far away the attractions are.

There's a vast difference between the distance that can be walked by a short, elderly, asthmatic, arthritic guy like me, and a tall, young, athletic dude like Andy Murray.

Just tell me how far away they are and whether the terrain's uphill, downhill or on the level and I'll be the judge of whether I can walk it or not.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, of course. I added 'only'. But that doesn't change the fact that the phrase "accessible on/by foot" is often used this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.