Bad/badly

Status
Not open for further replies.
''I feel bad. :tick: I feel badlypoorly.'' You crossed it (badly) out because here you are talking about health. Am I right? Yes. If I feel guilty I can use I feel bad, (Yes,I would expect to use and hear "bad' in that context)) I feel poorly (maybe,but would not expect to hear or use)and even I feel badly (for me 50/50) with ''badly'' being a nonstandard form. Is that right? Just reasking to make sure I don't misunderstand.
Y

If I am talking about a relationship. It won't be wrong to say ''It ended badly or poorly.'' But not ''bad.'' Am I right?

If I am talking about a relationship. It won't be wrong to say ''It ended badly or poorly.'' But not ''bad.'' Am I right?
Yes. In casual speech, many native speakers would say It ended bad, but learners shouldn't do this.

Use badly there, not poorly or bad.

"Bad" works with "ended up," which again is copulative.

It started out good, but ended up bad.

"Bad" works with "ended up," which again is copulative.

It started out good, but ended up bad.

Nice. (There's nothing quite like a lovely bit of casual copulation on a locked-down Saturday night!)

I think it's kind of cool that this sentence also works, and means very nearly the same thing: It started well but ended badly.

I think it's kind of cool that this sentence also works, and means very nearly the same thing: It started well but ended badly.
What's wrong with ''poorly?''

In American English? The relationship started well but ended poorly. The relationship ended [STRIKE]up[/STRIKE] poorly.
They're both possible with my correction. "Poorly" is less bad than "badly".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back