Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Are there more commonly used synonyms for the verb "banalize"? For example, when referring to crime...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Are there more commonly used synonyms for the verb "banalize"? For example, when referring to crime...
Where did you find "banalize"? It's not a word I have ever heard or seen and it doesn't appear in any of the dictionaries I have checked.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Merriam-Webster has it.
Crime is committed in such an easy way nowadays that it's becoming a banal thing. Crime is being "banalized".

Last edited:

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Merriam-Webster has it.
Crime is commited in such an easy way nowadays that it's becoming a banal thing. Crime is being "banalized".

I think such a word should exist in English. (It exists in French and German.) An educated person will understand it.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I can't think of one word that would mean that. I understand that you're looking for an intransitive verb. ("Crime is X-ing" instead of "crime is being Y-ed"). Is that right? I'd say, "Crime is losing its power to shock," or, "Crime is becoming/growing/getting banal/common/commonplace."

I hope someone provides better ideas. It's irritating that words in one language don't have exact counterparts in other languages. Someone should fix it!

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Actually, I was looking for a transitive verb, as "people are X-ing crime", because that a way to say it in Portuguese. On the other hand, we know that we can't purely translate sentences. So I was trying to find out how natives would convey this idea more naturally... Maybe they would say it in a totally different way... But your ideas work perfectly.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think such a word should exist in English. (It exists in French and German.) An educated person will understand it.
... and does, but in that MW citation, the quotation marks indicate that it's a newly-coined word.

There's although the word 'vulgarized', which has unfortunately been tainted by a limited understanding of the term 'vulgar'. Luckily, this misunderstanding doesn't extend to Portuguese! ;-)

There is also an idiom that is applied to culture rather than to crime, meaning 'made to appeal to a wider/simpler level' - dumbed down.

b

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Does trivialised hit the spot for you?