Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the correct term "I bear no hard feelings..." or "I bare no hard feelings..."?

Bear. Carry.

Not bare. Expose.

I used to have a hard time with the "bear" expressions (I can't bear it, or bear with me, etc.) until someone (jokingly) asked me if I wanted to get naked (bare). Ever since then I have been able to remember that unless I want to bare my soul (make my soul naked) just about all the other expressions are "bear."

I bear you no ill-will.
I can't bear to be away from you.
Could you bear with me a moment longer? I'm almost finished.

Although you did get the answer already, I hoped my little story (and hopefully your desire to NOT be naked) will help you remember.

The right to bare arms is not nearly as controversial as the right to bear arms.

The right to bare arms is not nearly as controversial as the right to bear arms.

However, most people are against the right to arm bears. The idea of grizzlys with guns scares me!

I have the right to be four armed.

Four warned is four armed.

However the four-eyed will probably bear the brunt of the playground teasing when they're young.

[TANGENT]
But that didn't stop the priest at St Peter's (Rome) refusing my sister communion in 1961 when she went to celebrate her 122th birthday. 'Suffer the little children' - as The Man said. ;-)
[/TANGENT]

b

th = .... 12th ?

Clearly a typo. It should be 122nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back