Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Here's what I understand/
Do we say 'beat someone to something' when talking about doing something before someone?
Example: I wanted to purchase the last ticket, but he beat me to it.

Do we say 'beat someone at something' when any activity?
Example: I want to beat him at chess.

I've only seen 'beat to it' being used in movies when someone wants to start a casual race to a point for fun. Is there any other context when one might use it?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase "beat at" works with any kind of game.

The phrase "beat to" is a separable phrasal verb. For example: "I was going to say that, but you beat me to it."

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It doesn't even have to be a game and can be used for pretty much any situation.

For example, I might want the last slice of pizza, but Tarheel beat me to it. I was about to ask what the new quotas were, but Susan beat me to it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Skrej I'm sorry. I didn't know you wanted it.
😊

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
It doesn't even have to be a game and can be used for pretty much any situation.

For example, I might want the last slice of pizza, but Tarheel beat me to it. I was about to ask what the new quotas were, but Susan beat me to it.
When you say Tarheel beat you to it, do you mean that you guys were competing to have the last slice?

Sometimes this happens to me while watching a movie with someone. It's not like I eat my slices faster so I can have the last one. But deep down I do want to have the last slice when the pizza is good.
Given the context, can I say 'he beat me to it' if the other person grabs it before me?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you say Tarheel beat you to it, do you mean that you guys were competing to have the last slice?
We weren't necessarily competing. I just happened to get it before him.

@Skrej My apologies! I didn't know you wanted it.
😊

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Sometimes this happens to me while watching a movie with someone. It's not like I eat my slices faster so I can have the last one. But deep down I do want to have the last slice when the pizza is good.

It's not a competition in the sense that we're both consciously striving to outdo the other person, no. However, there is a sense of 'winning' since there's a reward of sorts (getting the final piece). We just weren't aware the other person was thinking the same thing.

Given the context, can I say 'he beat me to it' if the other person grabs it before me?
Yes, that's exactly how I was using it in my example.