Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Does "because of the situation in the world" sound natural? And is the definite article required in places where I put it in brackets?

I had a few credit cards from different banks because of the situation in the world.
There used to be 4-5 cards. I could use (the) apple pay instead anytime. If (the)visa and (the) mastercard system worked, I was able to pay conveniently, quickly and safely as before. But (the) new payment methods are coming into fashion.

Context: it's about restrictions imposed by the government.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel: You sure do have a lot of credit cards.
Rachel: Yeah, it's because of restrictions imposed by the government.
Tarheel: Oh?
Rachel: It's complicated.

Rachel: New payment methods are coming into fashion.
Tarheel: They are?
Rachel: It's complicated.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does "because of the situation in the world" sound natural? And Is the definite article required in places where I put it in brackets?

I had a few credit cards from different banks because of the international financial situation. in the world.
There used to be 4-5 four or five cards available. I could use (the) Apple Pay instead at any time. If (the) Visa and (the) Mastercard systems worked were working, I was able to could pay conveniently, quickly and safely as before. but (the) new payment methods are coming into fashion.

Context: it's about restrictions imposed by the government. That's not sufficient context. I have no idea what's going on. See below.
Note my corrections and comment above.

I don't really get it at all. Did you mean that when you had "a few credit cards", you actually had four or five of them? Did you mean that, in the past, there were only four or five different payment cards available (Visa/Mastercard/Access/American Express etc)? Apple Pay is a fairly recent addition to the market but it still uses the same cards, just in a different way.
What did you mean by saying "if Visa/Mastercard worked"? Why wouldn't they work? What are these new payment methods you're talking about?
We need a lot more context and your piece needs quite a lot of work to make it clear. I've done my best with my corrections but I'm not completely convinced that the resulting text is actually what you meant.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

I don't really get it at all. Did you mean that when you had "a few credit cards", you actually had four or five of them? Did you mean that, in the past, there were only four or five different payment cards available (Visa/Mastercard/Access/American Express etc)? Apple Pay is a fairly recent addition to the market but it still uses the same cards, just in a different way.

What did you mean by saying "if Visa/Mastercard worked"? Why wouldn't they work?
They don't work in Russia.

What are these new payment methods you're talking about?

We need a lot more context and your piece needs quite a lot of work to make it clear. I've done my best with my corrections but I'm not completely convinced that the resulting text is actually what you meant.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Thank you!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Rachel Adams Are you saying that Visa and MasterCard don't work in Russia?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They don't work in Russia.
That needs to be clearer. Even with my changes, it sounded as if there was just some kind of [temporary] fault with those cards. Say something like "Unfortunately, neither Visa nor Mastercard can be used in Russia".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Rachel Adams I suggest that you write shorter, simpler sentences.

@emsr2d2 I apologize for being so stupid.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

What did you mean by saying "if Visa/Mastercard worked"? Why wouldn't they work? What are these new payment methods you're talking about?
I used "was able to" because I thought it was based on the rule that if something was possible despite difficulties, the correct choice is "be able to." As in "The house was on fire. But we were able to save everyone. Is it a completely different use?

If (the) Visa and (the) Mastercard systems were working, I was able to/ could pay conveniently, quickly and safely as before.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I used "was able to" because I thought it was based on the rule that if something was possible despite difficulties, the correct choice is "be able to." As in "The house was on fire. But we were able to save everyone. Is it a completely different use?

If (the) Visa and (the) Mastercard systems were working, I would have been able to pay conveniently, quickly and safely as before.
Bob: Were you able to do it?
Sally: Yes.

Normally, Sally's reply would be suitable, but for this conversation we'll make it longer.

Bob: Were you able to do it?
Sally: Yes, I was. I didn't have any problems.

I was tempted to have Sally say, "Yes, I was able to do it," but that wouldn't be normal. (We don't usually repeat large parts of the question.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

If (the) Visa and (the) Mastercard systems were working, I was able to/ could pay conveniently, quickly and safely as before.
You'd still need to put some additional information in.

If I were able to use Visa or Mastercard (they can't be used in Russia), I'd be able to pay quickly and conveniently.

I still don't know what the purpose of "as before" is. That makes it sound as if you used to be able to pay with Visa/Mastercard but their use has since been banned. If that's the case, you need to make that clearer too.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You'd still need to put some additional information in.

If I were able to use Visa or Mastercard (they can't be used in Russia), I'd be able to pay quickly and conveniently.

I still don't know what the purpose of "as before" is. That makes it sound as if you used to be able to pay with Visa/Mastercard but their use has since been banned. If that's the case, you need to make that clearer too.
But why is it wrong to use "was able to" and "worked" in my original sentence? Perhaps "if" is the wrong word and it should be "when". Would my sentence be correct with either "was able to" or "could", "worked" or "was working" if I use "when"? I am just trying to understand why it was wrong to use "worked" and "was able to."

"When/if the Visa and Mastercard systems worked /were working (by saying "worked" I mean when they worked without a problem, when there were no restrictions) I was able to /could pay conveniently, quickly and safely." I am referring to the time before restrictions.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Rachel Adams Perhaps: "Before the restrictions were put in place I was able to pay with my Visa or MasterCard without a problem."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Saying "If they worked", within the context of your piece, made it sound as if there's a temporary problem and that those cards are expected to function normally at some point in the future.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
@Rachel Adams Perhaps: "Before the restrictions were put in place I was able to pay with my Visa or MasterCard without a problem."
By saying "If/when Visa and Mastercard systems were working, I was able to pay conveniently, quickly and safely" I meant "before the restrictions were put in place". So is either "could" or "was able to" correct with either "when" or "if"? And can I use "could" in your sentence?

1. Before the restrictions were put in place I could pay with my Visa or MasterCard without a problem.

2. "If/when Visa and Mastercard systems were working, I was able to pay/could conveniently, quickly and safely."

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Saying "If they worked", within the context of your piece, made it sound as if there's a temporary problem and that those cards are expected to function normally at some point in the future.
I understand the difference now. Thank you. But the difference between "could" and "was able to" isn't clear in my context. Is either possible in the examples in post #17?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.