Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I read this expression, "the situation staged their charisma", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

And they had a kind of magnetism, in part innate and in part heightened by the circumstances. The Court was generally unable to bring the accused into custody without the cooperation of foreign governments or bodies, and its powers of arrest were fairly limited. There were many outstanding warrants, and many accused being held in other countries, it was not as if we had a plethora of war criminals in our midst. The accused therefore had an aura when they were brought to The Hague, we had heard a great deal about these men (and they were almost always men), we had seen photographs and video footage and when they finally appeared in the Court they were the stars of the show, there was no other way of putting it, the situation staged their charisma.

- Katie Kitamura, Intimacies, Chapter 2

This is a novel published in 2021 in the United States of America. The protagonist is an interpreter working at the International Criminal Court at The Hague. Now she is thinking how the accused have the charisma in the Court, because everybody in the Court has been waiting for the accused to arrive.

In this part, I wonder what the underlined expression means, especially as to what "staged their charisma" means.
Would that mean that the situation highlighted their charisma, so that their charisma would receive the spotlight, like an actor being stood on the stage...? (Though this is just my guess. :D)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
showcased?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think you've got it right, yes.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@teechar and @jutfrank,

Thank you very much for the explanations!
So "staged" here is similar to "showcased" which has the following meaning:

showcase:
to show the best qualities or parts of something:
The main aim of the exhibition is to showcase British design.

The whole situation of reading about them, and waiting for them to arrive, showcased/showed the best qualities of their charisma, or highlighted their charisma.

I truly appreciate your help. :)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, right.