Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Which participle form (present or perfect) fits best in the following sentences?

a) Before going to bed, he brushed his teeth.
b) Before having gone to bed, he brushed his teeth.
c) Brushing his teeth, he went to bed.
d) Having brushed his teeth, he went to bed.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
a and d work. b is ungrammatical. c means that he is still brushing his teeth when he gets into bed.

Indigo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In my grammar explanations I read that we use present participle (ing-form) when we talk about two actions happening at the same time, like in sentence c). However, in sentence a) we use the same present participle but we mean that the action of brushing teeth took place before the other action (going to bed), not at the same time. Do we use present participle because of the word "before" at the beginning of sentence a)?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This might be slightly off-topic, but I would say:

I brushed my teeth, and then I went to bed.

Or:

I brushed my teeth before I went to bed.

Or:

I went to bed after I brushed my teeth.

Indigo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How do I know which participle form to use with a certain preposition? Present participle tend to follow prepositions like: "before, on, while" but perfect participle can follow "after, in spite of". Can "before" ever be used with perfect participle (having + 3rd form)? If yes, could you give some examples, please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How do I know which participle form to use with a certain preposition? Present participles tend to follow prepositions like no colon here "before", "on" and "while" but perfect participles can follow "after" and "in spite of". Can "before" ever be used with perfect participles (having + 3rd form)? If yes so, could you give some examples, please?
Note my corrections above. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a natural example. Someone else might, though.