Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
1a) Yesterday I saw a movie and didn't like it maybe because 2 hours before that I saw some spoiler and it was spoiled for me.
1b) Yesterday I saw a movie and didn't like it maybe because 2 hours before that I had seen some spoiler and it was spoiled for me.

2a) Last night I went to party but didn't have fun but a day before that I went to cinema and had great time.
2b) Last night I went to party but didn't have fun but a day before that I had gone to cinema and had great time.

what's correct here if both then what's more natural and what's the difference?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
They all have mistakes.

Yesterday I saw a movie but didn't like it, maybe because I'd seen/read/come across a spoiler a couple of hours earlier.

I'd = I had.

Last night I went to a party and didn't enjoy it, but the day before I went to the cinema/to watch a movie and had a great time.

(Note my use of articles.)

There are various other ways you could make those statements.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last night I went to a party but didn't have fun.

You could also say, "Last night I went to a party, but I didn't have fun."

To abruptly change the subject of the conversation and to do it in the same sentence is, in my opinion, not natural at all. What point is intended with that? Is the speaker saying that because he had a good time at the cinema he expected to have a good time at the party?

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Last night I went to a party but didn't have fun.

You could also say, "Last night I went to a party, but I didn't have fun."

To abruptly change the subject of the conversation and to do it in the same sentence is, in my opinion, not natural at all. What point is intended with that? Is the speaker saying that because he had a good time at the cinema he expected to have a good time at the party?
To be honest I just want to know If I use word "Before" so what would I use these sentences are my own made and maybe don't make sense I just want to know if I am taking in past about someday I want to talk about the day before that with using "the day before" would I use past perfect or simple? word "before" is used here so it's confusing for me to what to use and what sounds natural
like in these senteces
2a) Last night I went to party but didn't have fun but a day before that I went to cinema and had great time.
2b) Last night I went to party but didn't have fun but a day before that I had gone to cinema and had great time.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
so what would I use these sentences are my own made and maybe don't make sense I just want to know if I am taking in past about someday I want to talk about the day before that with using "the day before" would I use past perfect or simple? word "before" is used here so it's confusing for me to what to use and what sounds natural
like in these senteces
Did you see post #2?

I just want to know If I use word "Before"
You used it correctly but there were other mistakes with the phrasing.

I know that's an issue with me
It's not that difficult. Sentences always start with a capital letter and end with either a full stop or question mark or exclamation mark.

Your post #5 was difficult to read because there was no full stop after the sentences.

Last edited:

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Did you see post #2?

You used it correctly but there were other mistakes with the phrasing.

It's not that difficult. Sentences always start with a capital letter and end with either a full stop or question mark or exclamation mark.

Your post #5 was difficult to read because there was no full stop after the sentences.
1a) Yesterday I saw a movie and didn't like it maybe because 2 hours before that I saw some spoiler and it was spoiled for me.
1b) Yesterday I saw a movie and didn't like it maybe because 2 hours before that I had seen some spoiler and it was spoiled for me.

Thats what I am asking what's correct between these past perfect or simple? I used before so why can't I use past simple here?

You corrected me here with this sentence: "Last night I went to a party and didn't enjoy it, but the day before I went to the cinema/to watch a movie and had a great time"
Here you didn't use "that" after before, so it sounds like I am talking about yesterday, but I want to say, " the day before party I went to the cinema " and you removed "that" party was last night it was Tuesday and the day before that which was Monday I went to cinema so how would I say it? and why you said in first 2 sentences that past perfect is correct and in second its past simple? I want to say it like that:

"Yesterday I saw a movie and didn't like it maybe because 2 hours before that I saw some spoiler and it was spoiled for me"

"Last night I went to a party and didn't enjoy it, but the day before that I went to the cinema/to watch a movie and had a great time" You removed that here why? I dont know If i am able to explain well but do answer me I am so confused.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Here you didn't use "that" after before, so it sounds like I am talking about yesterday,
No, it doesn't. "The day before" would be understood as "the day before [the day of] last night". That's how it works.

I dont know If i am able to explain well but do answer me I am so confused.
(Please pay attention to your formatting. Your posts are difficult to read. You've put both my sentences and your own in italics.)

I really am not sure what you're asking but your sentences were differently structured, and unnaturally worded. One dealt with two connected events--the movie and the spoiler, and the other with two contrasting and different events--the party and the cinema.

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
The only reason of posting this I want to know with "the day before" what should we use? past simple or past perfect? In 2nd sentences you said past simple is correct but a guy told me that I should use past perfect in this sentence " When I heard news, I wasn't shocked because I heard or had heard about It the day before" can I use past simple here? he said I should use past perfect and now you said we can use past simple that's confusing what should I use with "the day before" when both events are in past? past simple or past perfect? and in first sentences you used "earlier" instead of "before" why?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
When I heard news, I wasn't shocked because I heard or had heard about It the day before" can I use past simple here?
When I heard the news, I wasn't shocked because I had already heard about it the day before.

now you said we can use past simple
No, please don't put words in my mouth. You didn't ask about this sentence before.

what should I use with "the day before" when both events are in past?
It depends on the complete sentence and the content and what you're talking about, not just the phrase "the day before". You can't blindly apply a single principle to every sentence unless they're all exactly the same structure. And even if they are the same structure, the content can make a difference.

and in first sentences you used "earlier" instead of "before" why?
What do you mean by "first sentences"? If you mean the sentence about the spoiler, I used "earlier" because it was natural. You could use "before" but you would have to change the sentence structure.

There are often many ways to say a sentence correctly. We can't list out all of them. Your sentences were not constructed correctly.

Last edited:

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
How would you say the first sentence "Spoiler" one using word "before" I want to know that.
and if both events happened in past and one happened first but we are using word "before" + time duration or "the day before" if both in past, what would we use past simple or perfect? can you give some examples?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
How would you say the first sentence "Spoiler" one using word "before" I want to know that.
I saw a movie yesterday and didn't like it because a couple of hours before I watched it, I'd read a spoiler.
if both events happened in past and one happened first but we are using word "before" + time duration or "the day before" if both in past, what would we use past simple or perfect?
It depends on the context as I've already told you. There's no single rule. It depends on what the sentence says.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am closing this thread because the questions are becoming more and more difficult to understand.

You are welcome to start a fresh thread in this subject, the batman learner, but please ask about just one sentence, or about two similar ones. Ask ONE question, and don't tell us the opinions of others. We may then be able to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.