Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Europe
“Gerald always does that with everybody. He’s the most gregarious person. How are you, Lothario?”
“Flourishing, my Belinda,” he replied, flinging his arms round Miss Ley’s neck to her great delight and pretended indignation.

From Mrs. Craddock (set in the late 19th century) by W Somerset Maugham

Who are "Lothario" and "Belinda" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A Lothario is a man who dates and flirts with lots of women. I don't recognize the Belinda reference. Apprarently it's a flattering thing to say to Miss Ley.

“Gerald always does that with everybody. He’s the most gregarious person. How are you, Lothario?”
“Flourishing, my Belinda,” he replied, flinging his arms round Miss Ley’s neck to her great delight and pretended indignation.

From Mrs. Craddock (set in the late 19th century) by W Somerset Maugham, written in 1902

Who are "Lothario" and "Belinda"?

Lothario

I have no idea who Belinda is.

(Cross-posted with Charlie)

Is this the Belinda in The Provoked Wife by John Vanbrugh or the Belinda in The Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope?

What is Miss Ley's first name? Could he simply be calling her by her first name?

What is Miss Ley's first name? Could he simply be calling her by her first name?

Sadly not. There appears to be two Miss Leys in the book - Bertha, and her aunt, Polly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back