Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello

Does "besides" here mean "instead of"? I know that it's not the correct meaning of "besides" (I checked the dictionary), but when you read the whole paragraph, you understand that it doesn't make sense because the author is trying to make us put away the book and do something else.

Instead, you may take a page from Bruce’s book, and skip ahead to Chapter Six, and find my report on Sunny Baudelaire’s tribulations—a word which here means “opportunities to eavesdrop while cooking for a theater troupe”—with Count Olaf, or you may skip ahead to Chapter Seven, when the elder Baudelaires arrive at the site of the V.F.D. headquarters and unmask the stranger who led them there, or you may take the road very frequently traveled and skip away from this book altogether, and find something better to do with your time besides finishing this unhappy tale and becoming a weary, weeping, and well-read person.

"The Slippery Slope," by Daniel Handler

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello

Does "besides" here mean "instead of"? I know that it's not the correct meaning of "besides" (I checked the dictionary), but when you read the whole paragraph, you understand that it doesn't make sense because the author is trying to make us put away the book and do something else.

Instead, you may take a page from Bruce’s book, and skip ahead to Chapter Six, and find my report on Sunny Baudelaire’s tribulations—a word which here means “opportunities to eavesdrop while cooking for a theater troupe”—with Count Olaf, or you may skip ahead to Chapter Seven, when the elder Baudelaires arrive at the site of the V.F.D. headquarters and unmask the stranger who led them there, or you may take the road very frequently traveled and skip away from this book altogether, and find something better to do with your time besides finishing this unhappy tale and becoming a weary, weeping, and well-read person.

"The Slippery Slope," by Daniel Handler
Good question. Yes. Even though besides does not mean instead of, in this context, instead of is strongly implied.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In addition to.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
other than

(Or instead of but not in addition to—he's suggesting you don't finish reading the book. You do something else instead.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does "besides" here mean "instead of"? I know that it's not the correct meaning of "besides" (I checked the dictionary) ….

… you may take the road very frequently traveled and skip away from this book altogether, and find something better to do with your time besides finishing this unhappy tale ….
The first dictionary definition I found was "in addition to; apart from." That's exactly how the author used the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.