Best course(s) for for teaching online or in-person n the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atahladte19

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, newbie here, so apologies if this has been asked a thousand times.

I'm an experienced teacher in UK primary schools (26 years).

I want to branch out into other teaching roles.

I've been doing some voluntary work, teaching English to asylum seekers in the UK.

I'd like to teach English in England as I'm settled here. But this could obviously be online or in-person.

So what's the best course for me... a CELTA, a DELTA, a TESOL (if so how many hours)??

And which providers should I look at? I did a short course with Global English recently which was excellent.

Any advice gratefully received!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, I'm a newbie here, so apologies if this has been asked a thousand times.

I'm an experienced teacher in UK primary schools (26 years). I want to branch out into other teaching roles. I've been doing some voluntary work, teaching English to asylum seekers in the UK. I'd like to teach English in England as I'm settled here. [STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] This could [STRIKE]obviously[/STRIKE] be online or in no hyphen here person.

[STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] What's the best course for me - a CELTA, a DELTA, a TESOL? [STRIKE](if so[/STRIKE] How many hours' training should I aim for? [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] Which providers should I look at? I did a short course with Global English recently, which was excellent.

Any advice gratefully received!

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Are you looking to teach privately, at an established English school, one-to-one or classes? The more you can tell us about what you want to do, the more we can help. Please note my amendments above. As a native English speaker and an English teacher, it's important to write complete, grammatical sentences at all times on this forum. Posts from native speakers and teachers should serve as good examples to learners of how to write correctly.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Take the CELTA- it is the industry standard.

James TEFL

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
It really depends what your budget is and what the requirements of your target employer are. CELTA is a very intensive course and highly regarded by employers, whilst DELTA is something you should be looking at once you have completed the CELTA course. Doing a TEFL course is a cheaper option and a great entry point, which is usually good enough for most online English teaching companies.

Do you know where you want to work yet? This should really be your starting point and then you can choose a course accordingly.

When it comes to finding a course I'd recommend using a TEFL course directory because you'll get an overview of all courses on offer, rather than receiving a hard sell from a particular course provider.

I hope that helps!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Atahladte19, should you ever revisit this page (it's almost two months since you posted), do let us know what you decided to do and how you're getting on.

Status
Not open for further replies.