Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What's the meaning of 'Beware of an old man in a hurry'? I found out that is an English maxim and other politcal reports also use that as a title via Bing Search, but I don't get the definition about it.

Here's the source where I heard that originally.

House of Cards -- British TV drama

Mattie who is a journalist has a conversation with Francis Urquhart who is a Party Whip in his study. He intends to sow discord between Collingridge who is the Prime Minister and Billoborough.

Mattie: If I were captain of the Titanic, which of my senior officers should be worried about?

Urquhart: Beware of an old man in a hurry. Have you heard that phrase, Mattie?

Mattie: Lord Billoborough. But he's Collingridge's closest adviser. He can't still think he could be party leader? Not at his age, not from the Lords...

Last edited:

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is this a pejorative saying?

Can I use it safely generally without being accused of being ageist?

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I have lived 74 years without ever feeling the need to utter those words.

What are 'those words' you refer to? My questions or the saying? (I think you refer to accuse of the people 'racists?)

The reason I asked the questions is I've found out political correctness is important in the West. For example, a person advised me not to call the black people 'black', but African Americans etc.

(But I found out some of them don't like to be called African Americans, because they claim they know nothing about Africa. It's no problem for a black when I talked to him and called their people 'black people'. )

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What are 'those words' you refer to?
"Beware of an old man in a hurry."

Many Americans descended from Sub-Saharan Africans currently prefer "Black" — capitalized — over "African-American".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have met some African Americans. What am I talking about? They were from Africa.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We also say No fool like an old fool.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . The reason I asked the questions is I've found out political correctness is important in the West. . . .
Keep in mind that "political correctness" is mostly an important issue only among people who hate it.

For other Westerners, word choice is a matter of manners, not politics. So, yes, use Black. But use it to be polite, not to be politically correct.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Keep in mind that "political correctness" is mostly an important issue only among people who hate it.

For other Westerners, word choice is a matter of manners, not politics. So, yes, use Black. But use it to be polite, not to be politically correct.

I was married to a black woman for 32 years. We didn't talk about such things. (Should we have?)

It's important to be kind to people.

My Donna spent her last days in a nursing home.

I wish I had loved her more and loved her better.

Sometimes you learn something when it's too late for it to do you any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.