Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's an odd usage indeed in this rather formal context. My best guess is that it's a reference to the card game called contract bridge, which begins with an "auction" in which players bid to see who will win the "contract" and therefore play the hand. Any player may at any time demand a review of the bidding. If my guess is right, Prime Minister Thatcher was calling for a review of the negotiations with Argentina to date.

cannonkuo

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It's an odd usage indeed in this rather formal context. My best guess is that it's a reference to the card game called contract bridge, which begins with an "auction" in which players bid to see who will win the "contract" and therefore play the hand. Any player may at any time demand a review of the bidding. If my guess is right, Prime Minister Thatcher was calling for a review of the negotiations with Argentina to date.
Can I interpret it as "what can the UK do" to deal with the Argentine invasion of the Falklands?
Thank you.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No. The actions that Prime Minister Thatcher had decided the UK should take about the Falklands were already in progress, as the passage goes on to say immediately after the phrase "reviewing the bidding."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am not a bridge player, but I think the text suggests she was willing to pull them back if the armed forces pulled out- she was willing to fight, but also willing to negotiate, but was aware that the chances were low- open to counter-offers, but willing to fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.