English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Blood Types
Until the early twentieth century, attempts to transfuse blood from one person to another were usually unsuccessful. Then, in 1901, an Austrian scientist discovered that blood was divided into four types. These four blood types were named A, B, AB, and O. Blood type O is the most common around the world. Blood type A is the second most common, and type AB is the least common. If people with type A blood are given type B blood, or people with type B blood are given type A blood, they will probably die.
Source: Reading Advantage 1, Cengage Learning

Then, in 1901, an Austrian scientist discovered that blood was divided into four types.

In the sentence above, as that blood has four types is a fact, I think we can also use the present simple tense to rewrite “blood was divided into four types” like this:
...blood is divided into four types.
What do you say?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Or something like that there are four types of blood.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What about this?
Blood has four types.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That doesn't work.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If I were being very picky (which I'm not), I might say that both was divided and is divided are wrong.

It is not a fact that was discovered. It's just that it made (and still makes) very good sense for medical professionals to classify blood into these types. Nature doesn't do any dividing—it is people who do that. I think the thought is much better expressed like this:

Then, in 1901, an Austrian scientist discovered that blood could be divided into four types.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As a very minor footnote, the passage is factually incorrect. At first, blood was divided into types A, B and zero. The zero was intended to mean "no type", but because A and B are letters people read the zero as O. Type AB, the rarest, was not identified until years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.