Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have just started my TEFL course and altho i am understanding the grammatical rules so far, i wouldn't feel confident in my ability to teach these rules. I would like a book which could explain these rules in a fairly easy to understand context. Having looked at several i'm unsure as to which would be the best buy and wondered if you could recommend a couple as i am a complete novice to teaching grammar in the written form. I am also brand new to this site so i was slightly unsure which forum could best solve my problem, any hints and tips would be gratefully received. many thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have just started my TEFL course and although I am understanding the grammatical rules so far, I wouldn't feel confident in my ability to teach these rules. I would like a book which could explain these rules in a fairly easy to understand context. Having looked at several I'm unsure as to which would be the best buy and wondered if you could recommend a couple as I am a complete novice to teaching grammar in the written form. I am also brand new to this site so I was slightly unsure which forum could best solve my problem, any hints and tips would be gratefully received. Many thanks

Raymond Murphy's English Grammar in Use was the most used and respected book when I was teaching English in Madrid. You should be able to track down a copy on Amazon or Book Depository for a pretty good price. I heard that there's a downloadable version available but I don't know where from.

Just a note - the forum is read by students and we like to stick with correct written English so could you just make sure you capitalise "I" at all times and start each sentence with a capital letter when you post? It avoids students spotting these things in posts made by teachers and slipping into bad habits!

You might find you get more replies if you post in the "Teaching English" section of the forum as opposed to "Ask A Teacher". The "Teaching English" section is specifically for teachers to talk to other teachers.

sherrie15

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks so much and apologies for the incorrect spellings and grammar use of my own. I will endeavour to keep my language use as correct as possible. It's certainly a good habit for me to reform after so many years of shortening words to make life easier. Very grateful :up:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I second emsr2dt's suggestion. As you progress in your career, you will become aware of Murphy's shortcomings, but it is very helpful indeed for beginning teachers.There is a fairly straightforward explanation of pretty well anything that gives you problems in your early days, useful example sentences, and exercises to test yourself. It's designed for learners, but I have known many beginning teachers who have been saved from embarrassment in the classroom by checking with Murphy while preparing their lessons.

If Raymond Murphy had one tenth of a penny for every illicit photocopy that has been made of his explanations and exercises, he would be a multi-millionaire.

My own standby throughout my career, once I found it, was 'Practical English Usage' by Michael Swan . I still refer to it almost daily for straightforward, reliable explanations of most problems students will come up with until they are well past intermediate level.

sherrie15

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you 5jj, that is really helpful :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.